Can you identify this fish illness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Total_KO

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone!

Can anyone help me figure out what's up with my Zebra Danio? I have had the guy for about 2 weeks with no problems, then I looked at "him" this morning and saw this. It seems as if a chunk of scales has been taken from it's back, but it could also be something white growing on him. Despite the problem, the fish is VERY active and is zipping around the tank. Not sure that will continue as this progresses. My water readings are fine, I am pretty sure that this must have come from the LFS I purchased the fish at.

I bought three Danios to cycle my tank two weeks ago, and I JUST added the rest of my fish last night! I wish I had noticed this earlier, I would have just had the Danios, and now I have 5 more fish to be concerned about.

Here is a photo:
img_1177851_0_0aba9c1780930f6b0f4960062780ae6e.jpg

Thank You!

Hmm, kind of looks like a bite to me. Keep the water SUPER clean and make sure no white fuzzy stuff starts growing on it.
If it gets fuzzy, I would get Melafix and Pimafix. They won't kill your cycling, since they are all natural. :)

Thank you - that certainly makes me feel better, not that a bite is awesome news, but it isn't something that's spreading! This fish is actually the largest in my tank of small fish - but he is pretty aggressive and maybe "he" took it too far?
The fish in the tank are:
4 Zebra Danios
3 Cherry Barbs (added last night)
2 Panda Corydoras (added last night)

Again, thank you so much for responding to my post!!

It might be the barbs, since they tend to be nippy.
So you are cycling with fish? If so, I would change part of the water at least once a day so he doesn't grow any funk on the wound.

It looks like a wound. I wouldn't blame any of the fish in your tank. Something may have spooked the danio and it crashed into a rock.

Back
Top Bottom