Can you identify what is on my plants? if so how do I get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamkush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think its black algae, its all over everything, I have changed the pads in my filter, and decreased lighting from 12 hours to 7 hours, this is in a 72 gallon bowfront, its kept at 78.5 degrees and has 218W at 10k grow lights, I believe their VHO T5's Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• IMAG0253.jpg
    IMAG0253.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 121
Dear Lamkush,
Google black beard algae (bba) and compare to the photos shown. bba is tough. It's the result of too much light, too little CO2, perhaps too much uneaten food, and perhaps too high potassium. One needs to scrape off much of BBA off plants and tank as possible. Then if BBa is still there, one can try a black out for a number of days. If it still persist, I have had luck taking the plants out, scraping and brushing them to remove as much as possible then placing in a covered tub. Dose the plants with Flourish Excel. Do not fo this with anacharis--they'll melt. Keep dozing and keep the cover on. For anacharis use hydrogen peroxide as a spot treatment..
Chris

I took the plants out, and put them in a heated rubbermaid tub with some water, I have checked the levels in the aquarium and their all spot on, although I dont have a test for potassium, Hope it works! how long should I leave the plants in the tub?

You may need to consider getting pressurized CO2. You have approximately 3 watts per gal. Since it's VHO bulbs, may be High light, but at least Medium? Are you adding Ferts? Definitely avoid photoperiod longer than 8 hours. You might reduce to 6 hours for now.

BBA is tough. This Forum and The Planted Tank have lots of advice about this I'm sure.

It looks like diatoms to me. I don't think it is BBA.

It often grows on the leaves of slow growing plants, especially in newer tanks. The best way to control it is to minimize excess nutrients in the system.

After looking at pictures online, I dont think its BBA either, its not a hairy algae, its flat and grows all over the leaves of my plants no where else. it also has a slimy texture.

Yup. Pretty common. Lighting unfortunately won't have much of an effect, though I would still keep it to 7-8 hours. How long has the tank been established?

What are your nitrate readings? Do you have a PO4 test kit?

I also have snails in the tank as well as 2 gold algae eaters that should be able to eat the algae if it was Diatoms. Am I mistaken?

What are gold algae eaters?

Snails aren't going to take care of all of it, unfortunately.

here are gold algae eaters

Tropical Freshwater Aquarium Fish: Gold Algae Eaters

I took a test again of all my water conditions and everything is right at 0 or 5ppm, the only thing is that the ph is at about 8.0 could that be a problem? Maybe when I put my plants back in the tank (after a large water change) I will only run 2 of my 4 bulbs, so 108 watts?

Attachments

• mail.google.com5.jpg
    mail.google.com5.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 92
I don't think monkeying with the lighting will help much. Gold algae eaters are chinese algae eaters - probably won't help much with diatoms on plant leaves.

You don't have a PO4 test kit do you? How long has the tank been setup?

That almost certainly looks like BBA to me. BBA has two major forms: the little 'tufts', and a much flatter form that looks like what you have, usually starting at the edges of a leaf. I see it present like this in my tanks sometimes.

Your problem is almost definitely CO2. I say this confidently because I see at least two other majors signs of insufficient CO2 in this picture. In addition to the BBA and the sheer amount of light you have, you appear to have some form of GDA on your plants, which you generally see when you have low CO2. Further, the way your plants curl in on themselves is indicative of carbon stunting. The leaves of many stem plants will do that when they are put in high light but low CO2. Its a sign of a less than healthy plant.

Also, 0 ppm nitrate is actually very bad for a planted tank, especially one with as much light as you have. That's a time bomb waiting to go off.

CAE won't do much for algae once they start to grow, and they'll become liabilities against your other fish.

Interesting - good to know - I have never seen or had BBA that looks like that.

Dear iamkush,

I would recommend at least 3 days of black out in the tub. I would also think that only using 1/2 of your lighting would help prevent. I cut my lights to half and there has been no new growth. Fourish Excel will provide carbon if you don't want to go the CO2 route. Plus in heavy doses it acts as an algaecide. Others have recommended to me Siamese Algae Eaters as for some reason they like BBA and are not aggressive to other fish--although they can get large.
Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for your help everyone, I hope a combination of dosing Excel, a 3 day blackout, and lowering the lighting to about 1.5 watts per gallon and only 7 hours a day instead of 12 will solve the problem... Fingers Crossed!

I have diatoms in my tank also. But I dont mind because my oto cats love it. I just maintain my glass sides and let everything grow as is.

iamkush said:
I also have snails in the tank as well as 2 gold algae eaters that should be able to eat the algae if it was Diatoms. Am I mistaken?

Gold Algae Eaters are a color variety of Chinese Algae Eater. CAE get big and aggressive. They only eat algae when they are young, after that they like to eat the slime coat off other fish !!!

Otos and Bristlenose or other small peaceful Algae eaters would do a better job. Nerite Snails are fab.

When I kept SAE's, I definitely observed them eating BBA. I think it is hit or miss.

update! as of today and after a 3 day blackout, cutting the lighting from 248 to 124 watts and also from 12 to 7 hours a day, the algae seems to be decreasing at a quick rate! seems like the SAE's are keeping up. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom