Can you vacume floraMax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or would it take out the stuff in it?

There's no need to vacuum plant substrate, anything that makes its way into it will degrade and feed the plants. Surface vacuuming is ok but there's no need to go further than that

You don't need to vacuum Floramax... but, I have done so after like a year when the mulm has gotten so thick. I do it when I feel I need to pull out ugly stem plants when the bottom of the stems has had all the leaves fallen off or deteriorated. After I do a light vac, I'll replant the top of the stems where the plant looks best. I'm not sure if this is even necessary...but nonetheless, I feel better and my plants grow just fine after the fact.

I have never vacuumed any substrate in any of my planted tanks. I do like having Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my tanks (many people do not like them) as they sift through the substrate during the day feeding on mulm/detris and aerating it as they go then come out at night and clean in the tank. They are live bearers and their population growth is determined by the amount of food available. I don't mind them since they are mostly in the substrate during the day.

Back
Top Bottom