Canister filter cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellofone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently switched from a cheap HOB from Top Fin to an Eheim Classic 2215 for my 29G tank. What a filter. I can't really say enough good things about it. I went from foul smelling, cloudy water to crystal clear, odor free water in a matter of days. Best cash I ever spent.

Anyway, enough of that.

What do most people suggest as far as cleaning a canister? I currently have some pillow batting on the top layer, and pretty much replace that weekly. However, I have never touched (on the advice of searching here) the rest of the other media that came with the filter. The kit came with the ceramic "noodles" as well as Eheim's EhfiSubstrat Pro. There is also a course pad between the noodles and the EhfiSubstrat Pro. I assume I should clean the pads and noodles, but leave the EhfiSubstrat alone, since that houses my bacteria.

How often should I gingerly clean the rest?

I rinse my sponges off weekly in the old tank water just to get the gunk out. I would wash the bacteria at staggard times and maybe once every month of two depending on how dirty your tank is. I clean my sponges when I notice the flow rate start to decline and because i try to keep my tank pristine. I also use this stuff called poly fill to keep my water clean, i put it in the media basket as "filter floss"

the mechanical media or noodles and coarse pad should be cleaned everytime you do filter maintenance. This helps keep the fine filter clean or last longer. the ehfisubstrat pro can also be rinsed in tank water or dechlored tap water during this time.

I thought that the general consensus was that it is bad to clean the bio-media. Wouldn't that kill the bio-filter?

The idea is this...If you media is set up correctly,the sponges and other "real" media will filter the solids before any biomedia can collect it.

However ....If looks like it needs rinsing,just do it in a bucket of old water during a water change.Keep it wet and you'll have no problems ime.

just make sure it is tank water. regualr tap water will kill the bacteria that is cultured on it. it doesnt need to be sparkly clean just get all the bigger crud out of it.

I use a python to clean my tank, and the hose is long enough to reach outside. When I want to clean my filter I begin the syphon with the faucet in my sink, then (using a bucket to prevent drips) unscrew the hose and move the end outside. Then I can rinse the sponges of choice in running tank water, instead of squishing them in a bucket full of mucky water that keeps getting muckier. I also fill the bucket with tank water to hold whichever sponges and/or noodles I am not technically cleaning, to keep them from drying out. (It also fertilizes my yard! Just don't work in the same spot every time.)

Back
Top Bottom