Canister filter for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi am setting a 56 gallon planted tank. I am looking to get a canister filter and would like to spend under $250 for it. So far i have heard of fluvals, ehiem, and rena. What is a good one to get? Thanks for your time.

Hi am setting a 56 gallon planted tank. I am looking to get a canister filter and would like to spend under $250 for it. So far i have heard of fluvals, ehiem, and rena. What is a good one to get? Thanks for your time.

I have akways heard fluvals are great.

I've used Fluvals since the 80's and right now have 6 of their canisters running on tanks. They have always lasted long and are blissfully quiet and easy to clean.

Thanks for the replies... one of the other questions I have is which of these filters has the least problem leaking, as this is a very important factor to me? Thanks again.

Fluvals have never leaked on me. I have all Fluval 406's now and Fluval FX5's. IMO they are pretty easy to service but the FX5's are heavy.

All of them are great. I personally prefer eheim just through experience but honestly their all in the same class

They are good. But eheims dont let ant water bypass. Eheims are great canisters

Do the rena's let any water bypass? ehiems are a little out of my price range.

Love the renas. There great also and nooo how their setup they do not

My eheim ha never leaked and it doesn't matter that it can't bypass water it works by syphoning the water into the canister and the pump is used to push the water back in so it can't overflow. Also they are great and have lots of room for filter media. I had mine for the past 1 1/2 years and haven't had an issue I have the 2213 classic

I am relatively new to canister filters. About 6 months ago bought a Fluval 206 and I'm happy with it thus far. Very quiet, appears to keep the water crystal clear, and pretty easy to maintain. I find it necessary to clean it about every 2 or 3 weeks tops. Not too difficult to do.

IMO the trick is to fill the available space with the right amount of media, not too much and not too little will minimize bypass in most cases. Some filters by simple design do a better job of routing the water but ultimately again IMO, media placement/concentration is the key to bypass. And yes Rena's have media bypass also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom