canister filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennsredragon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
is there a proper order to stack filter media in a canister fliter? this is my first planted aquarium and have never used a canister filter. I am so clueless!!! :confused:

Use a fine mechanical/polishing media (On top) water immediately after the course mechanical media (bottom). There is no reason to do it later. The biomedia should be dealing with the cleanest water possible to be the most effective and preventing getting clogged or smothered. The biomedia should be the last stage. If you use carbon, peat, crushed coral, etc that should go after (Middle) the mechanical but before the biological. The mechanical should always be the first stage (course before fine obviously).

thank you for the quick response. maybe you can help me with the finer details of this. i have a 55 gallon aquarium w/ the penn plaxx cascade 1000(up to 100 gallons). the media i have is the biofloss, ehiem ehfimech(1L), & ehiem substratpro(1L).will the 1 liters be enough, or will i need more? what exactly is used for fine polishing. do you have a recommended product?

Tyler, that sounds familiar, like you took the words right out of my mouth...

:confused:well, this really only partially answers my ?. anyone that can respond in a more detailed manner would be fabulous!!!

Back
Top Bottom