Canister filter or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremy S.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank set up for about a year and a half. I've always ran a Fluval 205 on the tank, a 40g breeder with 20 long sump, but has this been hurting me this hole time? I run carbon and biomax in the canister and clean it monthly now. I've heard alot of negative things lately about canister filters and don't know if mine is causing more harm than good. I've been fighting cyano, but now that the cyano is gone I'm fighting hair algae.

This tank has
2 Damsels
Watchman goby

Hammer coral
Several Zoanthid colonies and frags

I'm mostly using this tank to grow my frags and the hair algae is almost out of control.

Attachments

• image-1750903829.jpg
    image-1750903829.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 134
Well, if you are having cyano issues and looking at the tank it is really green.... Yes, the canister filters are frowned upon due to the nitrate issues from build up if they aren't cleaned...probably weekly.
If you have a sump why are you running a canister? Throwing a skimmer in there would probably be better for your reef. Have you tried running GFO? Are you using ro/di? How often are you feeding? I only feed my reef tank twice a week.

I feed once every three days. I originally ran the canister before I had the sump and I never thought it was causing problems until recently. I do use RO/DI water from the LFS, need to invest in my own unit soon. I don't have problems with cyano anymore; I started using nitrate remover pads but couldn't locate the original source of the problem. So I should probably remove the canister filter and invest in a skimmer?

I am also looking at getting a GFO reactor soon.

Jeremy S. said:
I feed once every three days. I originally ran the canister before I had the sump and I never thought it was causing problems until recently. I do use RO/DI water from the LFS, need to invest in my own unit soon. I don't have problems with cyano anymore; I started using nitrate remover pads but couldn't locate the original source of the problem. So I should probably remove the canister filter and invest in a skimmer?

I am also looking at getting a GFO reactor soon.

A skimmer will help, and You don't need the canister if you have a sump. One less thing for you to clean every week. :D

Alright ill remove it.

Question... Could I use the canister without any media in it as a return pump for my sump and use my current return pump (Eco264) for the GFO reactor?

I'm not certain that would work. The canister pump is designed for a feed head pressure the same as the output head pressure. So the pump only has to overcome the pressure caused by line loss and elbows and filter media pressure. That is all a lot less than head loss. However if you have the ability to test it out, go for it.

On the other hand, most reactors only want small flows through them and your canister pump may be ok for that.

If you do use the canister for pumping you may want to consider throwing some rock rubble in it to aid in bio filtration.

One of my friends uses a canister filter as a return pump, it seems to work well, but he uses an Aquatop Cf500 and I have a Fluval 205. I may try it out since I will just have the canister filter laying around. I will probably remove all the filter media from inside the canister so it might free up some flow.

My main concern was will my Eco264 work with the Phosban reactor. After doing some more research it seems the pump will work. I also ordered 1lb of media from BRS.

Once I get home from all this Thanksgiving stuff I'm going to have to get to work on everything. I can't wait for my reactor to come in the mail!

Instead of using my Eco264 as the pump for the reactor could I order a 80gph pump to use? Or do you need more power than that? This would allow me to keep using my Eco264 as my sump return pump.

Or could I connect the lines to my return line for the sump and just run off the Eco264?

Just go out and pick up a maxijet 400 they are fairly cheep and is more then enough power for the 150phosban I even use my maxijet turned down just that media turns in it not looking like its boiling. That's the best option and you should pick up a bigger return pump to enhance the flow in your tank

Alright that's what I'll do then. I was looking at the maxi jet 400 already so that's what I'll get.

I've been running the Eco264 as my return pump for over a year now and it's been doing great for me so far. Ill upgrade it whenever I get around to revamping the sump.

Thank you everyone!

Yea it's not a bad thing but upgrading to a bigger return pump to have like 4x-5x turn over is perfect but yea the maxi jet works absolutely perfect for the phosban-150. It's a great pump for it so you know what you plan on running as your media? And look online at www.thatfishplace.com u just bought one at there store in Lancaster pa great great store and website btw

I ordered 1lb of BRS GFO so that'll be the media for now.

What would you recommend?

And that is a nice website, I've used them a couple of times before.

Gfo is perfect and works wonders u can also try bio pellets but they are highly expensive I want todo an experiment with either seachems phosgaurd or there puirgen or chemi pure in the reactor but I would also invest in a bulk reef supply dual reactors. There fairy cheep and works on one pump.

But deff get rid of that canister filter its killing ur entire purpose of the sump the canister is where 99percent of algae comes from its a nitrite factory and house so much organic waste all u need is a good sump with a filter sock to get anything big and a good skimmer the skimmer is going to be the work horse of ur system and good reactor it wouldn't hurt to throw some mangroves in ur sump or get a hob fuge or customize ur sump to have a fuge the canister is alot of problems

With my tank only being a 60g I figured a dual reactor would be over kill. My next investment is definitely going to be a nice skimmer once I have the funds!

GFO reactor came in today and is already setup and running! Picked up a Petco brand pump since they wanted $35 for a friggin Maxi jet 400!

Wow I got my m.j 400 for 12 bucks but that's good u got your reactor set up look in to running phosban media rowaphos both work wonders in the reactor

Let me know how it works on your system keep the updates coming :)

Back
Top Bottom