Canister Filter Question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All, My fiance bought a canister filter for our 55 gallon cichlid tank. I just want everyone's opinion of this filter and if it is of good quality and if our money was well spent($200). ..also, if this filter is enough filtration for our cichlid tank of 13 cichlids various species between 1.5- 3 inches long.
He bought the marineland multi-stage canister filter c-360. filters 360 gallons per hour for up to 100 galllons. opinions comments welcome! thank you!:thanks:

Hello All, My fiance bought a canister filter for our 55 gallon cichlid tank. I just want everyone's opinion of this filter and if it is of good quality and if our money was well spent. ..also, if this filter is enough filtration for our cichlid tank of 13 cichlids various species between 1.5- 3 inches long.
He bought the marineland multi-stage canister filter c-360. filters 360 gallons per hour for up to 100 galllons. opinions comments welcome! thank you!:thanks:
Yes, I think you made a good choice in filters. NEVER, EVER trust what it says it can be put on. That particular one MAYBE, MAYBE can be put on a 75. But I am sure someone with more experience on this filter will chime in :).

It is a good filter and will work well on your 55 gallon. Is it worth the $200 you spent on it? IMO, no, there are much better for much less $$. All MarineLand products are overpriced though.

Bummer, wish I would have known that:( Pardon my lack of knowing what its called but..
does the intake tube and blower thing have to be placed in a specific place in the tank in relation to eachother?

I looked at the Marine land cannisters and I wasn't impressed that much with the flow rate and price. Everyone seems to recommend Eheim or Fluval. Mostly used Aquaclear HOB filters my whole life but took the plunge into cannister filters. I went with an unknown company called Truaqua based out in California. Just bought the AT300 cannister filter for half the price of the Marineland 350 Cannister filter. It works like a charm, does everything it says. Customer service with this company was also excellent. They got my recommendation because I just ordered another cannister from them.

Bummer, wish I would have known that:( Pardon my lack of knowing what its called but..
does the intake tube and blower thing have to be placed in a specific place in the tank in relation to eachother?

I usually put them as far apart as possible. You dont want to just suck up the water that you just put back in the tank. Also, if you have them on opposite ends it will create a little current.

Look at the reviews here Canister Filters: Marineland C-Series Multi-Stage Canister Filters and on amazon. very good in my opinion. I own (i didnt just look at) a c-220 and the output is much stronger and faster with larger size tubing (which means moving more water) then the eheim ecco 2234 that i have. I'm sure it is plenty of filtration for your 55 gallon tank. i'm pretty sure you would have been fine with the c-220 but no such thing as too much filtration. (too flow is a different story. dont want a whirlpool in the tank lol) I have had the c-220 for about 2 years now and have had no problems with it whatsoever and am very happy with it. I don't know if yours was bought online or through retail store so you maybe could have saved a few bucks but i think you will be happy with it.
Personally with it being on sale now at Drs i would try the c-220 out and see if it satisfies your filtration needs if you can return the 360 and save $100. then if it isn't enough buy another 220 and still end up spending the same as the 360 but get another 80gph filtration.

Hi yes try placing the inlet at the opposite end to the outlet,then this gives maximum circulation:) May i ask what media it came with?

Hi yes try placing the inlet at the opposite end to the outlet,then this gives maximum circulation:) May i ask what media it came with?

Iknow there were ceramic rings(apparently for bacteria) and little bags of carbon. sorry if this doesnt anwser your question....I know very little about canister filters as of yet... and my fiance set it up for me!

IMHO, you don't really need the carbon unless you have discolored water or are trying to remove meds after treatment. I have a fluval Fx5 running with only the filter pads and rings, and it filters wonderfully!

Stuff as much biomedia as you can in there. I agree you don't need the carbon. It just takes up valuable space. But do put in lots of filter pads and biomedia.

LyndaB said:
Stuff as much biomedia as you can in there. I agree you don't need the carbon. It just takes up valuable space. But do put in lots of filter pads and biomedia.

Yes I would also like to clarify that when I said rings, I did mean the biomedia. That would be a good thing to clear up!

GNarnian said:
IMHO, you don't really need the carbon unless you have discolored water or are trying to remove meds after treatment. I have a fluval Fx5 running with only the filter pads and rings, and it filters wonderfully!

Is it bad to use carbon? I have it in. my hobs too

Oh no it's not bad. It's just not really necessary. It keeps the odors down if that's an issue and helps remove impurities. I have carbon in my hob on my smaller tank.

do you buy filter pads? and what other biomedia options are there? sorry, if this is a lame question!

missie said:
do you buy filter pads? and what other biomedia options are there? sorry, if this is a lame question!

There are no lame questions. ;-)

I can't speak fir everyone, since I know many people who don't, but I do buy the filters. I've also heard people using filter floss, or pillow stuffing- The untreated stuff that you can buy at craft stores or what have you. Hopefully someone will chime in on that.

As for the biomedia, I just use the biomedia rings that fluval puts out. I get it on amazon and the prices are cheap!

missie said:
could you link me pics of the biomedia rings?

Im on my phone right now and I don't think it will load links properly. Just Look up the Fluval Biomax or you could search biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom