Canister Filter ??? UV....???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Been looking at some of the imported canisters on eBay that others here have reviewed positively and noticed that some have UV sterilizers built-in...

What practical application for a FW aquarium might there be?

Been looking at some of the imported canisters on eBay that others here have reviewed positively and noticed that some have UV sterilizers built-in...

What practical application for a FW aquarium might there be?

Are you only asking about UV sterilizers, or a specific filter mfg.?

UV sterilizers are supposed to help with water borne algae mainly, but there's also claims that they kill parasites and pathogens. Most will say they are of questionable value because the water needs to be in contact with the UV light long enough to kill whatever is passing by. IMO filter water moving at 300/450/+ gallons per hour isn't going to give the UV's enough time to do much of anything.

Mr. Limpet - I was just curious if there is any real value to a UV sterilizer in one of the filters (and you pretty much backed up my theory on those things anyway).

The theory of it being in the filter is to sterilize the microbes as they are trapped on the media. Even outside the filter UV sterilization is very effective method of controlling disease and microbe outbreaks and at the very least, creating a natural environment. Afterall, the ocean has the sun.

In a repeated, constant flow the UV can handle the microbial load of the tank. Of course the slower the flow, the better.

Think of it this way, a human can potentially consume an entire years worth of radiation consumption in an hr., if exposed to a source that was emitting that amount consistently. How long do you think it would take a microscopic particle to reach it's max exposure if the source was amplified by, say something as small as 10x, if only exposed for a second. Now if these particles are trapped on a filter and have constant exposure, how effective would that be.

UV sterilization is used in air filtration, eg; hospitals use it to prevent bacteria/viruses from traveling room to room. Food packing plants use it to control bacteria, especially on chicken. That food is moving on a conveyor belt and may only have a 1-2sec exposure. And of course, water purification plants use UV sterilization too..

UV sterilization was used on a global scale to control bacteria and virus when hurricane Katrina hit N.O. and when the S.A.R.S. virus hit China.

Check out one of the leaders in the industry @ rgf.com if you want to learn more.

I'm confused- if your canister is functioning as both a mechanical and a biological filter, wouldn't UV then be a "bad" thing? How dies nitrifying bacteria live in that environment? Or am I missing an important part of the equation?

The theory of it being in the filter is to sterilize the microbes as they are trapped on the media. Even outside the filter UV sterilization is very effective method of controlling disease and microbe outbreaks and at the very least, creating a natural environment. Afterall, the ocean has the sun.

In a repeated, constant flow the UV can handle the microbial load of the tank. Of course the slower the flow, the better.

Think of it this way, a human can potentially consume an entire years worth of radiation consumption in an hr., if exposed to a source that was emitting that amount consistently. How long do you think it would take a microscopic particle to reach it's max exposure if the source was amplified by, say something as small as 10x, if only exposed for a second. Now if these particles are trapped on a filter and have constant exposure, how effective would that be.

UV sterilization is used in air filtration, eg; hospitals use it to prevent bacteria/viruses from traveling room to room. Food packing plants use it to control bacteria, especially on chicken. That food is moving on a conveyor belt and may only have a 1-2sec exposure. And of course, water purification plants use UV sterilization too..

UV sterilization was used on a global scale to control bacteria and virus when hurricane Katrina hit N.O. and when the S.A.R.S. virus hit China.

Check out one of the leaders in the industry @ rgf.com if you want to learn more.

But isn't the important issue the amount of time the water is exposed to the UV? A hospital, food processor, etc can control the flow to a point that it does some good. But a high flow filter is, well high flow and not effective from the reviews I've read, most users were disappointed in the results.

What do you think of this unit Amazon.com: Green Killing Machine 9 watt Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head: Sports & Outdoors ? This is something that I think makes better sense as you can set the flow rate and the UV has a chance to kill what it is supposed to.

I went to the rgf website, but didn't see any aquarium units, is there something I'm missing? FYI: The chances of catching something (air borne, etc) in a hospital and getting sicker than when you went in, is actually pretty good. So I'm not sure that's a good analogy lol.

Back
Top Bottom