Canister Filter - what should be in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YourPalCM

Aquarium Advice Regular
Setting up my first saltwater tank (75g)...

I have a Fluval 404 that I am planning to use from a freshwater tank that has been dismantled. Now I'm reading bad things about canister filters and saltwater tanks. I've read to leave all of the floss out. I've read to leave the bioballs out. I've read carbon isn't necessary (same as freshwater). ....Ummm....so what the heck should be in it if there's no floss, and no bioballs, and carbon isn't necessary? I'm confused...

It really depends on what type of SW setup you want. For a reef no they are not the best. For a FO or even a FOWLR they can work. Personally I would use high grade carbon and some sort of floss/pad to remove large particles. Keeping up on maintenance and possible a 2nd filter would be good until you have enough LR or other biological filtration. Everybody will have an opion. fact is not everyone can have a sump/fuge reight away and the requied amount of LR.

I started my 75g as a FO then FOWLR witha 350 mag and a hot mag cansiter filters. 3 + yrs later it has transformed into a 90g reef with a DIY sump/fuge.

Tell us what you hope to accomplish and we can better advise. Better yet, update your :my info" section and describe your setup. Include things like filtration lighting, inhabitants substrate etc.

HTH,

I have the 304 for my FOWLR. I ended up taking out all 4 sponges, due to them being a nitrAte factory. I run carbon, if needed, you can add some LR rubble for more biofiltration. Basically I use mine for extra water flow and carbon (which I haven't had in for a few months).

Back
Top Bottom