Canister filter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwaterbeginners

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to get a canister filter for my 50 gallon tank for my blue rams and other fish.
Any good filter?
I don't know if substrates will matter. But I will have dirt and pool filter sand for my substrates.
I need something that is cheap and good.
Planning to get this canister filter.
[ATTACH]234478._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your reply

I have never seen that brand before, but I have used fluval filters before and have always been satisfied with it. Plus the price is reasonable for the quality.

The only problem with buying the cheapest filter is you most likely will have to replace it in a few months (I've made that mistake many times)

Im a plumber over in england. We have a saying in the trade. Buy cheap, buy twice.

I would stick to recognised brands like fluval and eheim

Just got a Fluval 206 at one of the big pet stores for $129.00 on Monday. Setup is simple it's quiet. And cleared up my brand new 30g that has Eco-Complete in >8 hours. It also has some flow rate adjustability to it. That's all the info and exp I have as this is my first canister filter. I have an in-line heater on order should be in on Friday.

First, if you're looking for something cheap, you can always look on craigslist for filters. That's how I got both of mine. Bought an API/Rena XP3 for $85 from a craigslist deal, brand new. And a little over a week ago, I bought a 75 gallon complete setup from a guy for $300. It came with a Fluval 405 canister filter. Having used both, I actually prefer the XP3 because it's cheaper and can hold more filter media. That said, both are amazing filters. Can't go wrong with Eheim either.

First, if you're looking for something cheap, you can always look on craigslist for filters. That's how I got both of mine. Bought an API/Rena XP3 for $85 from a craigslist deal, brand new. And a little over a week ago, I bought a 75 gallon complete setup from a guy for $300. It came with a Fluval 405 canister filter. Having used both, I actually prefer the XP3 because it's cheaper and can hold more filter media. That said, both are amazing filters. Can't go wrong with Eheim either.

So any recommendation?

If you're gonna go the craigslist/used route, it would depend on what's available. Any of those would be a great choice. If you're going to buy new at a retail store (and you're trying to minimize cost), I'd probably look into the API/Rena filters.

If you're gonna go the craigslist/used route, it would depend on what's available. Any of those would be a great choice. If you're going to buy new at a retail store (and you're trying to minimize cost), I'd probably look into the API/Rena filters.

Is it better to buy in a store or from some people?

Is it better to buy from a store or from people?

I am trying to get a canister filter for my 50 gallon tank for my blue rams and other fish.
Any good filter?
I don't know if substrates will matter. But I will have dirt and pool filter sand for my substrates.
I need something that is cheap and good.
Planning to get this canister filter.
[ATTACH]234478[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your reply

That looks like a Sunsun filter. I thought about buying one myself for a backup in case my xp3 filter ever deiced up and quit on me. I have read good reviews on them. You might check out these two article's.

My review of the Sunsun External filter for 250g Aquariums HW-304A

My Review: SunSun "Outside Filter" HW-302

I did read somewhere they are a pain to prim. So that might be one con.

Well if you buy from a store you get the store's warranty/return policy with it. If you buy from people, it's typically as-is. Marineland filters probably wouldn't be a bad choice. What probably matters more than buying the absolute best filter is NOT buying the cheapest "made in china" brand you can find and getting something with at least a decent reputation. Read amazon reviews. Also, maintain whichever one you get. That means cleaning it (especially the impeller) regularly. Lubricate the impeller too. Stuff like that will help extend life.

What do you mean by they are a pain to prim?

That's a typo. he meant "prime".

And you have to prime canister filters. That means getting water into the lines so that the impeller can create a pressure gradient and move water. If you have a bunch of air in the lines, there's no pressure gradient, and the filter does nothing. Certain filters have systems in place to make it easier to prime than others.

Back
Top Bottom