Canister Filters! Are they really that bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been using my Fluval 206 for almost a year now without the nitrate jump everyone keeps talking about. I have tested my water and it keeps saying 0 along with everything else but my PH which is at 8.

So whats the deal? It keeps my water really clear and clean and not one issue everyone has warned about. It continues to run as if it was brand new out of the box. Of course I do clean this filter out once every two to three weeks. I clean the whole thing out and I replace the Polly filter I buy and the carbon. I Squeeze out the sponges in dirty tank water to keep the Bactria on them.

I have read many articles on the use of bio-balls and canister filters. I have come to the conclusion that most people don't clean them out at all or as often as they should. This leads to the build up of the organic matter that causes the spike in nitrates.

Of course everyone is on the same page when it comes to a reef tank, that using bio-balls and a canister filter is no good, but for a FOWLR tank the use of the wet-dry filter with bio-balls and a canister filter should be fine so long as you are willing to do the work and clean them when necessary.

So why do people so passionately say no to the bio-balls and the canister, When they are proven to provide great filtration and benefits if used properly? I for one believe that so long as you only plan on doing a FOWLR tank you should be fine going with any method you choose for filtration.

I also have been using my 306 for almost a year and the most my nitrates have ever shown where about 5ppm, and that was due to me being away and tank maintenance slipping behind a week.

Nope... There's absolutely no problems with running a canister filter on a sw tank... I'm so sick and tired of people saying that they're "nitrate factories" without giving a shred of evidence. Wet drys and canisters are great for getting rid of ammonia. So next time someone brings up the fact that you need a refugium or mentions the ever so trite "nitrate factories" ask them to give you scientific evidence that proves it... Otherwise it's just hearsay.. Before refugiums, hobbyists were running beautiful sw tanks with HOB filters, canisters, and wet drys. So please don't be fooled by the stupid "nitrate factories" for anything.

Bio balls and wet drys are also fine for reef tanks. Just have a good skimmer and lighting. Again, hobbyists were doing reef setups with these filters at their disposal for many years.

to be fair I think if you read what a lot of people put they are nitrate factories without the proper care to them. If the filter is well maintained then of course they are fine in saltwater aquaria but it is a case of ensuring the extra cleaning is done imo. Also I think refugiums are not a must but they are very beneficial for a tank even if you take aside the filtering they are a great place for pods to breed which will then feed your tank. not saying its a must but i would say they are worth having if you can again only my opinion on it.

It's not really about knowledge it's not difficult to understand how to clean a filter but it takes more effort than to empty a skimmer cup and I'm not saying there aren't any but personally I don't understand the benefits of a filter compared to a skimmer?

The benefits also mean you don't need live rock AND a skimmer. Which both can be very expensive. I guess it depends on what your plans are.

Okay maybe knowledge wasn't the right word.... Maybe laziness is what I was looking for!

But with nothing converting the nitrate back into harmless gas and thus completing the nitrogen cycle surely that would mean increased water changes? And agreed it is more laziness

Maintenance won't make much difference in my knowledge as the de nitrifying bacteria live in the air pockets in the live rock and won't live in filters as they can only live in air as a result the nitrate is built by filter but there is no way to turn in back into harmless nitrogen. Not that nitrate is harmful to fish in small doses but only way to remove is to water change so plenty need to be done

Lol I think so which is probably why it is possible to have a tank setup and not require any water changes for a long time if using live rock and good equipment....

Woody, I think you missed it a bit on aerobic or nitrifing bacteria. Aeorobic means oxygen rich WATER. The bacteria that breakdown ammonia and nitrite require oxygen in the water, not bubbles of air or pockets. The denitrifying bacteria, or anaerobic bacteria require oxygen free water. That occurs in the deeper parts of the rock structure that water can penetrate but does not readily replenish its oxygen and becomes anaerobic. That is where nitrate is broken down into nitrogen.

That being said, you are correct in that denitrifying bacteria cannot live in the filter membranes as the water's oxygen is constantly replaced.

Yeah exactly .... Not that I would recommend it though lol.and Spose it's all about making sure info is correct for newbies really

Newb hypothetical question here: if a person had a tank with a deep bed of crushed coral substrate, would that harbour denitrifying bacteria?

I guess the point is that people that use Canister filters are just making more work for themselves?

I clean mine out every two to three weeks. That's when I do a BIG tank cleaning and it takes me an hour to do everything. The weeks in between I just take 10 gallons out of my 55 and replace it with fresh saltwater.

So I am correct in saying that the filters are fine so long as you clean them and maintain them. There is really no big benefit in having a Canister Filter or a Wet-Dry Filter over a sump tank correct? It just keeps the water clean and the water clear like they are suppose to and that's it!

What would a Sump tank advantage be over the filters? Besides less work!

Yes deep sand bed will de nitrify, and yes canister filters are ok of well maintained. The sump will house all of your equipment and make the display tank look better the skimmer will do a better job of filtering because it will pick organisms up that filter pads etc would not be able to. Sumps are great breeding grounds for pods for your tank and will also increase yOu water volume which is useful

Back
Top Bottom