Canister Filters: Fluval 204 on 104 base?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mae140

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

Long story short, I picked up a few used fluval canister filters - 2 of them being a Fluval 204 and 104. The 204 works great but the 104 motor housing has some strange lubricant substance around the clips and seal ring (clear, jelly like, not sticky; feels more greasy after you rub it in your fingers).

I want to set up a canister for a 10g freshwater with the canister sitting behind the tank not under, and planned to use the 104 simply because it's smaller and I can hide it better. However after seeing the goop on the seal of the 104 I'm a little uneasy since I have no idea what it is. Also I don't want to clean it off, use it, then have the filter start spewing water when I'm not around.

My question is can I use the 204 motorhead on the 104 base? I didn't think there would be much of a conflict but I wanted to make sure and google wasn't any help. I attached photos of the 104 motorhead in all its glory.

Attachments

• 104b.jpg
    104b.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 57
  • 104c.jpg
    104c.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 104a.jpg
    104a.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 63
If it mates up correctly, I don't see why you can't. Are the bases the same height? Just wondering because the 204 should produce more volume then the 104, right?..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like the o-ring seal has been lubricated. Just wipe it away if you don't like it.

Because rubber will dry with time, it is a good idea to keep it lubbed after a while. I do most of mines if I get them used

The new ones? If they don't just slide in with ease, then it gets lubed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Looks like the o-ring seal has been lubricated. Just wipe it away if you don't like it.

Because rubber will dry with time, it is a good idea to keep it lubbed after a while. I do most of mines if I get them used

The new ones? If they don't just slide in with ease, then it gets lubed.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

+1 I use the food grade grease that they sell at Home Depot to keep my seals in good condition.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom