Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read everything I can about canisters. Depending on the brand you can see good and bad reviews. I am starting to put together a 75 gallon freshwater tank. I have read that 2 filters are the way to go incase one shuts down, same way with heaters. Any ideas and suggestions as to size and brand of canister to get? Thanks in advance!!

i don't think you need 2 filters on a freshy tank providing the one you have is the right size. i used a rena xp3 for years on my freshy tank. it worked fine.
what happens if the filter shuts down? you buy another one. i don't think the tank will crash a day or two without a mechanical filter running.
i'm assuming you'll have something in the way of a power head in the tank providing some flow.

If you have the money, Eheim are the best make - but they are expensive!

I wouldn't dismiss the idea of two filters, for that sort of site of tank it might be a good idea.

The most important thing to look at is the flow rate. Take your desired turnover rate e.g. 5x per hour, then work out what flow you need to achieve that e.g. In your case 1,400 litres/hour, then get a filter or filters capable of twice that e.g. 2,800 litres per hour.

I would rather have 2 filters than just one, Rather than using say a Fluval 405 or equal, I have 3-203 Fluvals on my 55 gallon, I know I could get by with just two but I had an extra one so I use it, they also provide the tank with a more even current all throughout and yes you can service one while the other/others are still running.

I'm with reefdiver. A rena XP3 and an HOB. I like using an HOB with the canister just to polish water, and also have a source of bacteria if you decide to start up a new tank or a QT.

As for your original question, I have two 75 gallons and I use 1 Rena XP3 on each. They are reliable filters and not too expensive. For my 125 gallon, I have 2 XP3's running. Water is always clear.

Another point, if you are set on buying two canisters, i would use them both right away. Very small possibility that both will die at the same time. And for example, my original XP3 is 5 years old and still running strong. So it might be more beneficial to just use both right away and have super clear water.

I run one Marineland C-360 on my 55, about 1.5 years now and no trouble at all. Probably not a bad idea to back it up though. Remember to research each model by downloading spec sheets online, you will find that many list GPH of the power head only (that is, without it being connected to the canister body itself with media in it!) that is a marketing trick. You can count on the actual installed flow rate being about 60-70% of the flow rate of the power head due to fluid resistance. Then that will drop by about 25% by the time it comes around to cleaning time.

I use a sump on my freshy tanks. A homemade wet/dry filter. Works much better and can be made for nearly nothing. Sump, 10 gal tank, overflow out of dollar store water pitcher and a bulkhead. In sump I use a 6 drawer sterlite plastic cabinet. In each drawer I can use a different filter media. Plans for diy overflows and sumps are all over net. They are more efficent, less expensive and you change only one filter media at a time so less crashes.

Back
Top Bottom