Canister vs Powerfilter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbz99

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if a canister filter is worth it. I could get 5 tetra ex70 filtration systems for the price of a Fluval 306. Would the 306 really be better? To be more realistic would it be better than 3 ex70s? That is what I am planning on getting but canister filters look like they are good as well

Just set up my 60g and I have an eheim 2217 and here are the pros for me: it's ultra quiet, I can push my tank right up against the wall, don't have to worry about the filter clogging and spilling on the floor, only have to clean once every 6 months vs changing media one a week, and supposedly the biofiltration is better if you plan on overstocking.

What size tank do you have?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 55. I'm not worried about changing anything it is purely cost

I'm not a fan of the tetra filters at all. However, all filters do the same basic thing and that's push water through filter media. The more expensive the filter is the more quiet it will run in general.

The benefit of a canister filter is that they are usually very very quiet and hold a ton of bio media. Hang on the back filters are cheaper but hold less media. If I were you, to save money I would go with a single quality hang on hack filter such as an aqua clear.

If you buy cartridges and change weekly it will offset the cost savings in about a year, If you build your own with rolls of filter floss, carbon, etc then it is obviously cheaper.

When I was looking, it did seem like aquaclear filters are the most recommended and best reviewed hobs.

If you buy cartridges and change weekly it will offset the cost savings in about a year, If you build your own with rolls of filter floss, carbon, etc then it is obviously cheaper.

When I was looking, it did seem like aquaclear filters are the most recommended and best reviewed hobs.

Side note, on a HOB filter you should only be changing your cartridge when it literally is deteriorating and falling apart. The last ones I had to change out lasted 9 months. Changing them regularly is generally a big no no

Tank Filtration

I was wondering if a canister filter is worth it. I could get 5 tetra ex70 filtration systems for the price of a Fluval 306. Would the 306 really be better? To be more realistic would it be better than 3 ex70s? That is what I am planning on getting but canister filters look like they are good as well

Hello Barb...

I'd recommend a standard filter that hangs on the back of the tank. Hagen has a good brand. Canister filters are fine too. However, they're roughly 3 times the cost and take more time to clean. The Hagen will essentially do the same job.

Determining the filtration needed is simple. The tank will need a filter system that circulates 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons every hour. A 55 gallon tank will need a filter or filters that turns over roughly 200 gallons of water per hour. That's called the gph. The information is listed on the filter package. If you're a diligent water changer and remove and replace at least half the tank water every week or so, you'll have a healthy tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom