Canister?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all I'm running penguin 350 dual bio wheel and aquaclear 70 on highly stocked 72 gallon african tank. Only been up a couple months and fish are small. I'm debating if I NEED TO do a canister. The 2 filters do 350 and 200 or 250 gph respectively. Most of the canisters I've seen do about 350 gph so my question is ... Is it really an upgrade? I get the flexibility or media factor but I really can do what I want with what I have now. Just curious if its worth the modest I vestment or if I do light upgrade to led first

canister filters have some advantages. the media is customizable and a little cheaper then the pre assembled filters for a hob. more bb media and they filter under pressure with many of the new designs gaurenteeing no bypass. they are quiter and cleaner in appearence as you dont have a bunch of suction inlets hanging down the back wall of your aquarium. im currently using the marineland c560 on my 75 tank which has you guessed it 560 gph. i love it keeps my water crystal clear. now hob will do the job just fine so its really just a personal choice as to whether you think the investment is worth while. many people use a combo of hob and canister but if you get a canister with a high enough flow rate you dont NEED to still utilize a hob. this is all in my opinion as some may tend to disagree with me its up to you to decide good luck !

Thanks. That was my original plan I was given a fluval 304 or 405 I wa gonna run w hob but couldn't get it working. It was working yrs ago and them taken down an sitting. I'm just gonna buy a new one I think but now deciding which is the hard part. I am a big fan of over filtration

I have a 46 gal bow front that I have been running a 305 and a magnum filter on with great results. I run 2 trays with bio max one with floss in the fluval. The magnum does nothing for BB. However, it is a champ at removing large debris. this setup has the added advantage of intakes at different water levels. This keeps a good circulation in the tank and is very effective at pulling debris out before it settles.

Thanks. I think I'm going to take the plunge! Now.... What's the best canister to run with a hob as second filter??? Is a fx5 too much filter? I e read that sand Nd fx5 do not mix well as it is too much flow?.... Go with a 406 fluval? There's a deal on amazon for cascade 1500 I don't wanna pass up. 100 and free shipping. Has good reviews

I have a 46 gal bow front that I have been running a 305 and a magnum filter on with great results. I run 2 trays with bio max one with floss in the fluval. The magnum does nothing for BB. However, it is a champ at removing large debris. this setup has the added advantage of intakes at different water levels. This keeps a good circulation in the tank and is very effective at pulling debris out before it settles.

P.s. maybe a magnum would work, theyre pretty cheap. and I keep both hob as they both have the Bb and I also have the sponge filter!

I have only ever used fluval canisters, and it is for good reason... I love them and they do a great job IMO. I think you are right to question going too powerful with sand as a substrate. I personally have not used the x5 so I will differ to someone else to answer that.

Thanks. I'm leaning to the fluval 405/406 or the cascade 1500 right now. Maybe if I upgrade to 125 I will go to fx5. Opinions welcome!

Thanks. I'm leaning to the fluval 405/406 or the cascade 1500 right now. Maybe if I upgrade to 125 I will go to fx5. Opinions welcome!

I have to 405s on my 100 gallon which has sand substrate. The sand stays settled and the water is nice and clear. As I always tell people when looking for a good deal, you can get a brand new 405 on eBay for $115+free shipping. I have bought a 305 and two 405s from the seller. Don't buy them in a LFS. Also if you want to run a HOB as well it's just going to be even better.

Attachments

• image-859928006.jpg
    image-859928006.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 65
I have to 405s on my 100 gallon which has sand substrate. The sand stays settled and the water is nice and clear. As I always tell people when looking for a good deal, you can get a brand new 405 on eBay for $115+free shipping. I have bought a 305 and two 405s from the seller. Don't buy them in a LFS. Also if you want to run a HOB as well it's just going to be even better.

Thanks. Do you think the 405 for that price is better than the cascade 1500 for 100?

thats a good deal.

Getting it Saturday! Really excited! I really have hard time finding anything bad about it! Putting on 72 gallon with aspirations of a 125 down the road. Now I need to decide to take off and what to keep on with it. I have. Aquaclear 50 or 70 and penguin 350. And also a sponge filter running g on a fluval air pump. Any tips appreciated. I know the penguin w double bio wheels pumps more gph but its awful cartridges need rinsing almost weekly and are expensive. I e rinsed them 5 times as much as the AC but can't say if that's good or bad! It's catching more debris I guess! I am leaning toward taking out the 350 biowheel and the sponge and running fx5 and the AC

I would run the fx5 and the AC. I love AC filter, one of the best imo.

Thanks. I'm not sure it will actually fit! I have 72 bow front on oak stand the stand has open back but the tanks pretty close to the wall and base board. Getting out the tape measure!

Back
Top Bottom