CanisterFilter Maintenance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meesh

Aquarium Advice Activist
How often should the media be rinsed? I set up a 55 gallon tank about two months ago. I check the water weekly and water parameters are good. I do a 10% water change and vacuum the substrate weekly.

LFS says okay to go another month. So is maintenance simply rinsing out the media every few months?

It's a Forza 7. Very quiet, keeps the tank nice and clear.

I use API Filstars and clean them once a month... many keepers do go longer, that's just me.

You'll get a lot of varying opinion on this question.

A 10% water change seems small, I normally do 30% - 50%

Besides the media, I usually rinse out the canister and clean around the impeller as well. Make sure to clean everything in old tank water OR treated tap water in a bucket - don't clean anything under tap water that has not been treated or you will harm your beneficial bacteria.

Never heard of a Forza 7, I'll have to check it out - glad it is working well for you and your fishes!

Good question

Thanks for tip. I know about rinsing the media and cleaning parts in tank or treated water. The guy at my LFS has been pretty good for a knowledge source, just wondering about frequency. I'll tackle it after the holiday.

As long as water quality is good, at 0 ppm across the board, I think I'll stick with the 10% weekly changes. It's just easier to do regularly. But I keep a good eye on the water quality and if anything starts rising I can do a bigger change.

Modest population and everyone is young and small. School of seven Zebra Danios, three Clown Loaches, a Betta and new addition, a Mystery Snail. Hoping he doesn't get eaten by the Clown Loaches when they get bigger, but I'm restarting an old 20 gallon tank I can eventually move him to if they start paying any attention to him. So far it's been peaceful in there.

Sounds like you are in good shape with a light bio load and are consistent in your approach and monitoring, you should find great success and joy in this hobby....

Your tank looks great, 10% weekly is fine. If you aren't an overfeeder you won't have to change the filter for about 2 months. You should rinse the sponges and change the carbon.

I usually clean my canister once a month. All media gets old tank water rinse, but fine filter pads either gets replaced or rinsed under tap.

I also rinse my canister media once a month. Just the sponges though. I don't use carbon. I only rinse my bioballs if it looks like they need it, maybe twice a year when I replace my sponges.

You said you have 0ppm across the board...is that including nitrates?

Tank looks wonderful! You must have a fantastic LFS. I like mine, but they're not nearly as helpful...seem to focus a bit too much on sales of unnecessary stuff.

Back
Top Bottom