Canopy Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankBoss

Aquarium Advice FINatic
C'mon people! There has to be that perfectly shaped storage container, etc... that would be easily converted into a beautiful canopy for a 55 gallon tank. Has to be but I have yet to discover it. LOL! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know my way around a wood shop and have access to one... I just lack motivation because, of all the wood canopys I've seen, none really do it for me. I even started a box using 1*12 pine and, half way through, decided it wasn't going to be something that I really wanted to throw on top of my tank.

neilanh said:
If there's nothing on the market you like and you have access to a wood shop, sky's the limit my friend.

I hear ya... its just that, being that a canopy is nothing more than a bottomless box, seems there should be a few options for a very simple conversion.

SeverumGuy said:
What purpose do you want the canopy for? Do you just want it for looks?

Thanks for asking. I guess what I want is something like a nice looking lighted hood. Cabinets aren't necessary. Just great light and fully enclosed except for necessary ports.

C'mon people! There has to be that perfectly shaped storage container, etc... that would be easily converted into a beautiful canopy for a 55 gallon tank.

It's called a coffin.

Take off the lid, cut the box down to size, install your lights, flip it over and put it on the tank.

BigJim said:
It's called a coffin.

Take off the lid, cut the box down to size, install your lights, flip it over and put it on the tank.

Now that's the kind of "out of the box?" thinking I'm looking for! I do however doubt that even a Costco coffin (Costkit) would fall under the 130 price tag on the petco canopy that matches my stand. LOL

You can probably find one really cheap if you're willing to work in the dark and dig a little.

Seriously now, I've seen some beautiful canopies that were built at home. If you're good at woodworking, the sky is the limit. Hardwood is blasted expensive though.

BigJim said:
You can probably find one really cheap if you're willing to work in the dark and dig a little.

Seriously now, I've seen some beautiful canopies that were built at home. If you're good at woodworking, the sky is the limit. Hardwood is blasted expensive though.

You're right about hardwood. In fact, while being able to customize your canopy to your liking, and bypassing a shipping charge, I don't see you saving much on materials. I also understand building ones own canopy out of the pure enjoyment of the hobby... but, in my case, in this instance, I much prefer a money saving, shortcut, streamline in appearance.

Take a look at my homemade setup under my profile. I have about $20 wrapped up in the lighting and glass lids. It looks pretty good to me. You might be looking for more though.

SeverumGuy said:
Take a look at my homemade setup under my profile. I have about $20 wrapped up in the lighting and glass lids. It looks pretty good to me. You might be looking for more though.

Redwood planter. Pretty, 60$, a bit short on the length. The search continues.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110127_133437.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110127_133437.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 72
Trying to hunt down a pvc planter in this style that isn't priced like its made of gold.

Back
Top Bottom