Canopy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my Tank for several months now. At first I had it open at the top. I like it that way. Prob was that the salt would get over my lights n stand. It annoyed me especially bc of the lights. So I bought a glass canopy, it's ok but I want something better. Any suggestions?

A glass canopy??
Do you mean glass lids with the hinges??
I would avoid those ,,you need an open tank for the proper gas exchange
Try and raise your light up

Yeah the glass with hinges. It not completely close on top. It's open in the back. I got the t5 light fixtures so they are already lifted off the tank. Do u not that problem leaving your top open?

No,,i don't ...How much space is under lights..i have about 5 inches with the included legs the give you...Sure,i have to clean off the plastic shield every few weeks ,,but i don't get any huge build up on them..i do get some build up on the tanks support braces ,but thats it

How much splashing or rippling do you have at the surface..May just have to adjust a PH or 2 slightly

I use a glass top that covers the entire tank. I did cut the soft plastic portion onlong the back to allow for return lines, heater and cords for my power heads. I have had no trouble maintaining my water parameters so I assume I am getting good gas exchange. Just my experience so far.

Not saying its "bad",,just not ideal...They also keep in a lot of heat ... especially if your running lights for 10-12 hours a day

i woulsn't be to concerned about gass exchange if there are still openings in the hood for air to get i nand out. you will also notices with a top you won't have to top up the water often.

i often some times want to put a top back on mine as topping up the water is a pain, but i also don't want to block the light once i start puttign corals

Eventually I want coral too. The glass blocks alot of the light that I noticed. So basically if I want coral I just need to have it open

Back
Top Bottom