cant clear my cloudy water!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, just checking. You have no idea how many people have messed that up, me included, lol. Everyone either forgets the 30 seconds on #2, or to shake the entire solution for a full minute. I'll be following the thread :)

thank you for this post. i am having this same problem and am headed to buy a test kit now.

here is my tank
248208_231820293498981_100000130357058_1148200_7119562_n.jpg

ok, tested mine:
ph 7.8
kh 120
chlorine .5
gh 300
nitrite.5
nitrate 0
i see that i bought the wrong test kit, this one does not have ammonia

so what am i looking at?

v01rider said:
ok, tested mine:
ph 7.8
kh 120
chlorine .5
gh 300
nitrite.5
nitrate 0
i see that i bought the wrong test kit, this one does not have ammonia

so what am i looking at?

We can't really tell anything without an ammonia level. Try and pick up an API Master test kit. If you're using strips...you might as well be guessing the levels. Judging by the no2 and no3, I'd say you're in the early stages of your cycle. You need to do an absolutely minimum 60% water change, two back to back 50% changes would be better using a good dechlorinator like Seachem Prime.

Keep doing minimum 50% daily pwc's (partial water changes) until you can get a test kit. I probably linked this earlier here, but this guide is going to be your best resource-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

v01rider said:
^^thank you!!^^

tested ammonia and it is 3

You know what to do....back to back to back 50% pwc's to get ammo below .25. You'll need to constantly perform them to keep it below that value at all times until the tank cycles. Hopefully you also picked up a bottle of Seachem Prime?

yep! just drained 50% now refilling! of course, i will never use aquastart or whatever it was again!

should i add only 15 gallons worth of prime or 30 gallons worth? i have a 36 bow front.

When adding prime to the new water you're putting in the tank you can dose for 15g (the volume being changed). When adding prime directly to your tank, and then adding the water second, put in enough prime to treat your whole tank, not just the water you're adding. To detoxify in an emergency up to fives times the normal dose may be used.

In your case I would dose at least the full amount for your tank. They recommend adding prime to the new water before you put it in your tank.

ok, put in 30 gallons worth. i can already tell a difference. its still milky, but not nearly as milky. thanks everyone for the help!! i will be taking aquasafe back this afternoon!

So I found out that my water goes cloudy everytime I turn on the bubble maker,, im not sure why,, it's been off all week and my water was cyrstal clear,, turned it on for 10 mins yesterday and bam!!! All could again and cleared up during the night when I had it off again

try burring your bubble bar. i buried mine and it seems to of helped.

The bubbles add oxygen to the water, and may affect the balance of areobic/anerobic bacteria. It should stabilize with the bubbles on when you get ammonia and nitrite consistently 0.

ok. took some water to lps and had them test to make sure i am getting the correct readings.

ammonia 1
nitrIte 2
nitrAte 5
ph 7.8

tank is looking much clearer though!

v01rider said:
ok. took some water to lps and had them test to make sure i am getting the correct readings.

ammonia 1
nitrIte 2
nitrAte 5
ph 7.8

tank is looking much clearer though!

Sorry to keep saying this...but you (especially your fish) need to keep the ammonia and nitrIte level below .25 at all times. Time to break out the bucket and bottle of water conditioner.

ammonia 1
nitrIte 2
nitrAte 5
ph 7.8
You need four 50% water changes to bring that nitrite down to a safe level 2 -> 1 -> .5 -> 0.25 -> 0.125

Let the fish be for an hour between changes to adjust to the change. Try to match the lukewarm water temperature in the tank when you turn on the tap, or use a spare heater to preheat the water change water to a matching temp.

yep. morning water changes are part of my routine right now! just did another one. its filling up right now. im loving this prime stuff! it really works!! i will test the water tonight when i get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom