cant cure eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tankless

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a green wolf eel with a growth in his mouth. I have tried topical treatment of cantocin and gentomyacin. Both medications came from my lfs.

First picture shows it at its worst. It is now reduced in size but will not go away.

Do you have any idea what this may be or another way to cure it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• 12-23-05_857.jpg
    12-23-05_857.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 12-02-05_194.jpg
    12-02-05_194.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 11-15-05_110.jpg
    11-15-05_110.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
Cantocin?

What was the treatment amount/duration of the Gentamycin?

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

I am guessing at the spelling

kan-to-sin kan-a-sin ??

I treated for 3 weeks, applying topically, for 5 days on then 2 days off.

This did reduce the size but did not eliminate the bump.

LFS said try gentomyacin next.

same treatment with the gentomyacin but only for 1 week.

same result

have you ever seen this kind of bump before?

Thanks,
Ken

Tankless said:
Hi Steve

I am guessing at the spelling

kan-to-sin kan-a-sin ??

I treated for 3 weeks, applying topically, for 5 days on then 2 days off.

This did reduce the size but did not eliminate the bump.
Kanamycin (?) sulfate is an excellent antibiotic but if by topically you mean applied to the affected area like a saave, neither it nor the Gentamycin would be effective. The treatment needs to either be injested or be exsposed to a prolonged bath (4-5 days). FWIW, your LFS carries some good stuff, these two anti's rock but should not be combined.

Typically what happens is if the meds concentration is not strong enough or a long enough duration, the bacteria gains resistance against it rendering it useless. Could be in your case it was simpley not a strong enough dose. There is also a very slim outside chance it's partially fungal or more likely Lymphocystis.

Do you have either of the meds left, if so what quantity & what size is your QT water volume?

Cheers
Steve

Steve

I do have a supply of both meds (maybe 2 thimble fulls each) and can get more if needed.

I do not have a qt tank per se. My tank, a 215, is upstairs with the sump and pumps in the basement. The sump is a 55 with about 25-30 gal in it. I use this as the qt tank.

I would remove the eel and apply meds to the affected area with tweezers and q-tip stick. see bottom picture.

I applied generous amounts and i am sure some was swallowed.

How much would be needed for a bath type dosage?

Would that be better than injesting?

Ken

Tankless said:
I do not have a qt tank per se. My tank, a 215, is upstairs with the sump and pumps in the basement. The sump is a 55 with about 25-30 gal in it. I use this as the qt tank.
Then you will need to administer orally. Antibiotics should not be freely used in a display system.

I would remove the eel and apply meds to the affected area with tweezers and q-tip stick. see bottom picture.

I applied generous amounts and i am sure some was swallowed.
I doubt very much a sufficient amount would be swallowed. It most likely washed away once the eel was placed back in the water.

How much would be needed for a bath type dosage?

Would that be better than injesting?
Dosing orally through foods can often be much more effective than prolonged immersion. It's not used as commonly because baths are easier (although more costly) and it can be tough trying to figure out the dry weight of the dose. Kanamycin for instance is 23 mg per pound of food. So for an ounce of food, you need to add 1½ mg of the med, rather tricky.

If you are able to set up a QT completely seperate from the main system, you can treat with the Kana @ 100 mg/gal for about 4-5 days. Gentamycin would be 20 mg/gal, same duration. If after that time frame there has been little or no improvement, you might need to explore the possibility it is either fungal or Lympho. If you have tried repeated attempts with a lower dose of these two meds, there is also the chance the bacteria is resitant.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

I will try the oral method first because I dont have the extra tank for qt.

How do you give it? In a piece of krill or other thawed food? Other recomendation?

How long is treatment cycle?

Ken

Tankless said:
How do you give it? In a piece of krill or other thawed food? Other recomendation?
Anything you can effectively place the med inside of. You need to be sure it gets into the eels gut and not lost to the water.

How long is treatment cycle?
Daily for 5 days using the Kanamycin sulfate.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom