Can't find CRS Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilikefishes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought RCS months back and CRS for my 55g planted last night. The first time I bought RCS they were very small and got torn to shreds by my Gold Barbs. I hate my Barbs. Last night I decided to try again because the CRS were on sale for 4.00 so I picked up two.

I tried feeding my Barbs while I stocked the CRS and they lasted til this morning, I haven't seen them since I saw them this morning. I'm wondering if they're hiding. I looked through all my plants and even uprooted them to get a better look. No luck. I figured I would've seen some remains if they got torn up by the Barbs, so I'm wondering why I can't find them.

Anyone have any experience in this kind of situation or just have some Ideas for where they are and future tips for shrimp stocking?

Need help ASAP
thanks.

They could be hiding, but I concur that the most likely explanation is the barbs got them.

In general, dwarf shrimp do not belong in fish tanks, for the reasons you have discovered (and many others as well). If you have the space, set up a separate 10g tank just as a shrimp tank and you will find them much more enjoyable--dwarf shrimp are a delight and INCREDIBLY active when they are in tanks free of predators (i.e. fish). In a tank with predators, they tend to spend most of their time hiding which means even if they somehow stay alive, you really never get a chance to enjoy them.

Jason and JohnPaul are right. Even guppies and neon tetras go after RCS.

Barbs are highly likely pick at just about tank mate you put in there.

You can also look in your filter. I ordered 10 cherry shrimp and could not spot a single one after 3 weeks of having them. I finally tore apart the tank the 4th week and saw no bodies and no shrimp. I then opened up the filter and counted exactly 10 shrimp bodies at the bottom of my filter. I'm not sure how they got in there because my filter intake was covered by a sponge. Still trying to figure out how they got in there because I'd like to have some shrimp!

Back
Top Bottom