Can't get bio-spira in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

Is it possible to buy bio-spira from a store in Canada or do you absolutely have to order it on-line from Marineland in the USA? I looked in petsmart, big al's and a few lfs around here and nobody has bio-spira. Most have bio-coat from the same company though...

Is it possible that bio-spira (being live bacetria) can't be imported in Canada? That would explain why I can't find it here. If that's the case, I won't be able to order it on-line, right?

Has anyone heard of the big al's multi-purpose bio-support?

Thanks
Vero

Petsmart, petco, etc. are worthless for Bio-Spira. I've only seen it at one out of about 8 or 10 stores I've been to. You can order it online, though.

Is it possible that bio-spira (being live bacetria) can't be imported in Canada?You would be correct on that -Anne

if you already have a cycled or know someone who has try and borrow either gravel or filter media and you should be fine

Thanks. I'll stop looking for Bio-spira then!

So what are people in Canada doing for cycling (aside from seeding their tank from another tank)? Any products that could replace Bio-spira in Canada?

How about big al's multi-purpose bio-support?

The reason Bio-Spira is not available (retail) in Canada currently is due to cost of importation [Particularly due to refrigeration requirements and the restrictions on what refrigerated transport it could be shipped in (not permitted to be shipped in the same truck as food, for instance)]....by the time a shop received it, their landed cost on a 3oz packet would be close to $20-$22CDN, which would make (after a standard 100% mark-up) for a $40-$45CDN retail price on a perishable item....nobody is willing to risk carrying a product that they could well lose a fair bit of cash on.

Depending on where you are, you can just get some cycled media from another aquarist.

As far as the Big Al's stuff...probably just as ineffective as Hagen's Cycle.

Time for Toirtis to start a Bio-Spira Factory and Distribution system for Canada!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom