Can't get my tank to reach 86 degrees with 2x 200W heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am posting because I have a little bit of an issue/confusion here.

I have a 20G tank and found out that my fish have Ich so I am doing the heat&salt method to treat them.

I will not go in too much details but my house temperature should be 67 degrees during the day and at night, and 69 degrees when I am home (between 7pm to 10 pm). I have 2 heaters (200W each) in my aquarium and the temperature is between 84 and 86 (more in the 84 degrees sides).

I am really confused as of "why the temperature can't reach 86 degrees???" so maybe you will be able to help me out to understand but I am pretty sure that even a single 150W should be sufficient....

Thank you and please let me know if you need more details or explanation.

Last edited:
Hi! Well forst off i would lile to share my experience with you. My temperature was high around 86 and my fish were very stressed and i even thought some were going to die! So the nice people on this thrread reccomended an ich solution called kordon ich attack, an its completly natural! It is plant friendly and fish friendly and ich was gone in 4 days! Amazing stuff, pick some up at your local petco :)

Thank you very much for your reply.

Today, I forgot to feed my fish this morning and did it when I came back from work. And for the first time, I saw one of my Gourami chasing all of the others (besides his favorite - the only Pearl Gourami I have).

Can he be attacking them because of the stress? (he was pretty mean like chasing them and "biting" them)

Edit: I do not have live plants in my aquarium

Last edited:
lapintoxic said:
Thank you very much for your reply.

Today, I forgot to feed my fish this morning and did it when I came back from work. And for the first time, I saw one of my Gourami chasing all of the others (besides his favorite - the only Pearl Gourami I have).

Can he be attacking them because of the stress? (he was pretty mean like chasing them and "biting" them)

Edit: I do not have live plants in my aquarium

Haha are you going to get the solution? Its amazing! And gourmis are very interesting fish. Some are angels, but some are absolute demons! What fish was he chasing? And did this last for a long amout of time? Also are his colors fading?

No, I will try not to had any product into the tank as long as I don't see any fish dying. I already lost 7 Danios but none of them died since I started the Hear&Salt process.

I have 4 Grouamis and the bad guy was chasing the other 2 Gouramis (I think he was protecting the Pearl Gourami so it can eat). He chased them for 2-3 minutes and then left them alone.

I do not see their color fading at all.

Last edited:
Well could the gourmi be mating?? If so he will become agressive like you said, and he might need to be removed :(

I don't think they are matting but I am knew to this hobby and could not be sure.

I will see how it goes tomorrow but they all look pretty calm right now.

Haha well everyone here is here to help you! Im sure he is just establishing dominance in his new tank, but i can not be sure. I hope it turns out well! Keep us informed

I wanted to keep you posted since it has been a little bit over 2 weeks. I stopped the Salt and heat process and my fish are once again healthy but I did lost one more Danio and one Gourami :(

Anything is good now. I got a new Albino Bristlenose Pleco:Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom