Can't keep snails / crabs alive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Been a long time since I posted, my tank was doing great until around last summer. Since then, I have lost all my snails and crabs (except for my 6 Nassarius snails... those are still doing great). I had a Cleaner Shrimp for about 8 months, and recently he just completely disappeared (for about a week now, so I don't think he is hiding).

I am getting a crazy almount of algae now, since nothing to clean up the tank. It is a constant battle. I added new snails and crabs a few months back, but they didn't survive... just have on snail left out of the bunch. My tank is 46 gallons, with about 50lbs of live rock or so. I do a 5 gallon water change every week. I scrape the front and side glass, and use my fish net to skim most of the big pieces out. But it all just keeps coming back.

I have a couple more ideas, but want to run them by the group.

- Bristleworms - Just notice I have 2 pretty long worms that come out from under the rocks. Could these be killing my snails, crabs, and shrimp? I don't like the looks of them, but have heard they are tank friendly...

- I have a large Foam pad on the pump intake for my AquaC Remora Pro. This is always collecting a ton of algae on it. Can I just not use it, or will the fish get kinda sucked against the intake and killed?

- All I have is the AquaC Remora, do I need any other type of filtration device? I have no room for a secondary tank, and I know that makes it harder.

Thanks for any help you can give, back to cleaning algae!

-Scott

Inverts have a hard time with excessive nutrients like nitrates and phosphates. They are also a fuel source for nuisance algea. My suggestions would be to do some frequent PWC`s and feed less than you are now. I only feed my tank every other day. You must get rid of the nitrates. What is your nitrates reading. I would do a 10-15 gallon water change every week.

Thanks Mike! I remember reading a lot of your posts, very helpful!

I am ordering a new test kit today, mine is over 6 years old. I will hopefully get it next week and be able to run some better tests to report out. I will also cut down on my feeding and try to increase the water changes.

Waterchanges for me are a pain, so you happen to have a good guide I can follow? THe problem is my fish tank is upstairs in a colonial style house. I use the bathroom upstairs, where I have my RO/DI unit under the sink (3 gallon reserve tank). It takes about 20 minutes to fill a 5 gallon bucket, and I have to keep a close eye on it so I don't overflow it. To fill a 2nd bucket will take even longer, as the reserve tank emptied out doing the first bucket.

THis is my main pain in the neck doing water changes. :)

I will start on this. In the meantime, should I avoid adding anymore snails / crabs for a while?

Also, I noted my temperature fluctuates from 76deg (lights off) to 81 deg (lights on). SHould the temperature be more consistent than that? I.e. I need a new heater?

Thanks again!
-Scott

That is a pretty big difference in temp changes. I would see about raising the temp some like 78 and then hopefully it will omly be a three degree change. A small clip on fan would work during the day also. As far as water changes I`m just old fashioned about them. I make them in 5 gallon buckets during the week and do the water change during the week end. I`m just a simple minded guy I guess. LOL. Let us know what your nitrates are reading. You do need a new one as 6 yrs is too long.

LOL, simple is good. :) I will probably do the same, just need to make 2 buckets a week. I will post back next week on the Nitrates!

So don't worry about the Bristleworms?

Also, should I keep that foam on the intake for the Skimmer?

I dont ever worry about bristle worms. They are good janitors. For the protection of the fish I would leave the sponge in but I would also clean it every week. JMO

Hey Mike,

Test kit came in this morning. I just ran the Nitrate test and am showing just over 10ppm. Color is really close to the 10ppm mark, just slightly darker (but not close to the next level which is 20).

How do you think the tank is doing as far as Nitrates? Ready to add cleanup crew yet? Should I test anything else that would be relevant to the snail / crab deaths?

Thanks again, you are a great help!
-Scott

With the new test kit please run a complete set of test...ammonia, nitrite, natrate, SG, PH and if you have the test PO3.

The Nitrates are ok. What test kit did you get?
Please post the numbers for all tests you can run.

Are you using RODI water or tap water for your partial water changes?
Please test for Phosphate and post that.

Algae comes from excess nutrients in the tank. You need to remove them, but doing PWC's with RODI water, cutting down on feeding, cutting down on lighting.
I would double the weekly PWC to 10 gallons for now, using RODI water.

Thanks all, I will post all my test results when I get back home. (sorry away most of the day today).

My test kit is a API Saltwater Master Test Kit. It has Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, and High Range PH. (no copper though, have to research that one).

I use RO/DI water all the time, changed my filters around October or so last year. It's a 6 stage system, forget the name of the brand. I am cutting my feeding down to every other day now, that is another good tip.

Again, appreciate everyone's comments. Hopefully can get back on track soon!

Ok, here are my test results.

PH = 8.2
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 10ppm
Specific Gravity = 1.023
Temperature = 80deg

Also attaching some pics.

Attachments

• Tank small.jpg
    Tank small.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Glass Algae small.jpg
    Glass Algae small.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Mystery Growth small.jpg
    Mystery Growth small.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Clown and Frogspawn small.jpg
    Clown and Frogspawn small.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 79
More Pics. No clue what that stuff is growing on the sand. Doesn't look like Algae, pic might be too small for you to tell.

Tank looks cleaner right now, but if I don't keep up on cleaning the glass it gets out of control...

Attachments

• Shrooms small.jpg
    Shrooms small.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Wierd Coral on Sand small.jpg
    Wierd Coral on Sand small.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Zoos Small.jpg
    Zoos Small.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 127
I hope you know that the salilfin will get to be ~18" and will have trouble turning in a 46g.....But still a very nice looking sailfin none the less....I don't want to turn into the "Tang Police".

Last edited:
Do you hear any clicking or poping sounds coming from your AQ (possible manta shrimp)? Your numbers seem to be okay and like Cmor said just up your gallons on your water change and that should help with your algae. How old are your lights? They may need to be changed out and that may be another cause of the algae but not the deaths of your inverts.

Whoa TC! I have heard pretty loud clicking sounds quite often. I had no idea what the heck they were. You have me really scared now, Manta Shrimp? How on earth could I find out if I have one? lol, have never seen him if he is there... but definitely have heard those sounds!!!

Could it be my Pistol Shrimp? Was reading on Mantis Shrimp and some people say a Pistol Shrimp could make those clicking sounds as well. Maybe he is the culprit?

Attachments

• goby_3_small_866.jpg
    goby_3_small_866.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 72
I think so, could be either a manta or a pistol shrimp, they both can do damage to your inverts if they get big enough. Try doing a google on them an see what's the best way to get rid of them. A pistol would do less damage and could be paired up with that gobie or blenny.
I'll try and find some information on both of them to try and solve your problem.

Too funny, that's the same exact article I read. Well, I bought the Pistol Shrimp / Goby as a pair several years ago. He wasn't a hitchhiker, they were fun to watch cruisin around together. I wonder if now the Pistol Shrimp is just too big and killin all my crabs and snails? Seems wierd though, he didn't do that before. I need to get a red lens for my flashlight, start checking things out at night too. Still a possibility of another shrimp *shrug*.

Good luck, I do think that that may well be your problem. Did you see that film clip on utube about the pistol shrimp. It showed a shrimp hunting down and snapping it's claw to stun it's prey. Neat I will see if it's still there.

Back
Top Bottom