Can't make a decision. Maybe someone can help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianwestchest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the aquarium hobby. It's a long story. But, over the course of the last three months, I've acquired the 10 gallon and 40 gallon tanks in my profile. I got great deals on both (well one was free). Now, I'm thinking about setting up a tank in my office. The guy who sold me the 40 gallon setup has a 45 gallon long tank and a 29 gallon tank that he's willing to sell to me, too. Both include heater and filter. The 45 gallon long include a special high powered light for growing coral. I'm not going to be setting it up as a saltwater tank. But, I wouldn't mind being able to grow plants in it.

The 45 gallon long tank doesn't come with a stand and all the stands I've looked at that are 48" long are pretty expensive. Plus, I'd really prefer a shorter tank because I'll have to rearrange my office to put that long of a tank in here. But, I've realized that I want a large tank because the limits of how many fish I can put in a smaller one. I want to have a community tank with several different types of fish- bottom feeders, mid-level dwellers and it'd be cool if I could breed fish, too.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I'll be happy with the 29 gallon tank which I can get for about 1/3 the price of the 45 gallon (neither comes with a stand). The stand would be a lot cheaper, too.

If you are looking to have fish inhabit the different levels, the 29 would probably be better. If memory serves, the 44 is only about 12" high? Tough to seperate the high from mid zone dwellers in 12".

Agreed, ultimately, if you desire fish of different columns, the 29 is best bet if taller. It will not take up as much space either.
The stand is obviously a concern, but I refuse to pay the outlandish prices stores ask for stands. The DIY section of this forum has.great info if you'd rather build a stand-which I did for my 30 and will do for my future 125

Thanks. The 45 gallon long is just about the same height as a 29 gallon standard. But, it's very long and pretty shallow (front to back). It'll take up a lot more floor space and really isn't the best shape for my room. It doesn't make sense to buy it just because I'm getting a great deal on it because I think I'd prefer a taller tank of normal dimensions (not 48") long. I think I'm going to pass on it. I'll either get the 29 gallon or just get one that is a little bigger but not so long.

Good idea. Ultimately the longs are better IMO because there is more surface area for gas exchange, but some fish prefer taller tanks (eg angelfish) to swim among the columns. Glad you're thinking about space and not tank size-i made that mistake lol...a 30g tank doesn't fit in a dorm well.

I'm in the vote for the 44. I think the surface area will be bigger and u can have more options for fish and plants. Stands are a moo point, super easy to build.

I'm new to the aquarium hobby. It's a long story. But, over the course of the last three months, I've acquired the 10 gallon and 40 gallon tanks in my profile. I got great deals on both (well one was free). Now, I'm thinking about setting up a tank in my office. The guy who sold me the 40 gallon setup has a 45 gallon long tank and a 29 gallon tank that he's willing to sell to me, too. Both include heater and filter. The 45 gallon long include a special high powered light for growing coral. I'm not going to be setting it up as a saltwater tank. But, I wouldn't mind being able to grow plants in it.

The 45 gallon long tank doesn't come with a stand and all the stands I've looked at that are 48" long are pretty expensive. Plus, I'd really prefer a shorter tank because I'll have to rearrange my office to put that long of a tank in here. But, I've realized that I want a large tank because the limits of how many fish I can put in a smaller one. I want to have a community tank with several different types of fish- bottom feeders, mid-level dwellers and it'd be cool if I could breed fish, too.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I'll be happy with the 29 gallon tank which I can get for about 1/3 the price of the 45 gallon (neither comes with a stand). The stand would be a lot cheaper, too.
I vote for the 45... it's more surface area and room, so you can fit more fish in there. I agree, stands are a bit pricey, I got the stand for my 55 from a guy on Craiglist who was breaking down his saltwater tank. I'd say check Craigslist, it usually has a good deal lurking among the ads...

Back
Top Bottom