Cant stop it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't need a skimmer if you can do large enough water changes to stay on top of a nutrient problem, of which your not being able to do at the moment.

Ceriths will eat cyano.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I'm looking to upgrade to my 75 so I will have to look into a Skimmer.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On a good note, the cyano and hair algae are not growing at the rapid rate that they used to.

my tank looked like that once I did several back to back water changes this removed all the phosphates and all the algae died off in about a week
a phosphate test is useless with all that algae present once it is gone or almost gone you should start to see readings
my tank had red slim green hair and cayno all at once it wasn't fun till I did what I said above ,
it took about a week to get it under control but I did it and I know you can to ,
tap water can cause issues unless it is filtered
I use well water but it's really mountain spring but its also filtered
I never seen water sparkle as my tanks do

Did you do a change every day for a week?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a new filter (went canister) and added another small blower on opposite side of tank

The growth has slowed down noticeably.

I did a 50% back to back the first day and a 50% 2 days later than another 2 days later again , as you siphon out water suck up as much die off as you can . these big water changes will remove almost all the phosphates that are fueling the nuisance algae
and it should starve it out rather quickly causing it to die off,
since you got a canister filter remember you need to maintain it weekly
you can also run phosban through the canister

Last edited:
Is phosban a chemical u add to the media?

Can anybody recommend a good water filer to use? Cant really afford RO at the moment

I run it in one of the baskets in my wet/dry before it hits the sump , they sell reactors but I just find it easier putting it directly into the wet/dry basket

au_th_13157_FS31223-i.jpg
th-78844-87818K.jpg

Yeah I'm just a start-up tank... 55gal glass, canister filter uv sterilizer, 2 blowers...nothing special but the fish at the moment.

Gonna have to do the mad water Changes.

Without ro/di water, you'll never be fully rid of algae. I run all kinds of media on my tank and am stuck using distilled water you can get at walmart for 88 cents. I go back and forth on if I prefer GFO or phosguard and recently started using biopellets to lower the nitrates.
With that said, your actual mechanical filtration will also be key, along with flow through the system. I would be MUCH better off today if there hadn't been a dead zone in the middle of my tank behind my rock work. It is something I have just discovered in the last several months...but it would be years of build up. Filter socks to pull gunk like this out of the water column without letting it settle is key to preventing things from going badly and turning into an 'old tank syndrome' crash scenario.

Well someone recommended letting the cyano run crazy and it would "smother" the hair algea. This as crazy as it sounds is actually working.

It is the same as turning off the lights. This is starving them of their food source.
That said, you'll still need to address the nutrients in the water column that is feeding both things.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And maybe a couple Urchins, they love to eat algae, but probably after the Cyano is treated (and you get the phos, tank parameter swings and other issues under control). They can be supplemented with pieces of Nori sheets when the algae is gone. And they are awesome looking. Glad you are finding some solutions.

Yeah acclimating new fish is not good at the moment, although my LFS said it would be OK. I got a sweet goby and 2 damsel's, only 1 of the damsel's lived. I was sad.

I have found the miracle!!! Its a new easy to use all fish and reef safe chemical by underwater creations called "Vibrant". It is amazing

Back
Top Bottom