Carbon filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catface

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could you tell me your opinion on something - I'm roughly 2 weeks into my first fishless cycle. While working my way through the seemingly dense minefield of information, I've been told that I shouldn't be using a carbon filter in my Aqua Internal 200 filter. Something about the chemicals it will absorb leeching back into the water?

Should I change the media now and start cycling from scratch? Or can I use it for a few months? Can I cut some of the sponge off to implant the bacteria into new media?

Thanks. :)

OK, first the story on carbon. The carbon absorbs various chemicals and other substances from the water. Over time, it's ability to hold these chemicals decreases and will eventually start releasing them back in.

As for your specific situation. I would probably bite the bullet and do it now while you are in your fishless cycle. Given the fact that the sponge serves as bio, chemical filtration all in one in that filter, you should definitely cut up some of the old sponge and stick it in there.

That being said, having old carbon in your filter isn't exactly the end of the world either. As long as you were not using it to remove meds or some other foreign substance.

Instead of biting the bullet as previously said, you could get a small sponge, or cut one to shape from the Aquaclear refills, and slip it into your filter for a few days. Then you can take out the carbon, and replace it with a sponge, let it sit for a few days, and boom, your culture has moved from your carbon to your sponge, without wasting a lot of time redoing stuff you have already done.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll go along with your idea Gibberwatt. I'm to impatient to start again now!

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a myth. Activated carbon doesn't release toxins when it gets old. I'm on my phone so it is tricky to post links, but just Google "aquarium charcoal leach myth"

Old charcoal just becomes another surface for bacteria to colonise.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some people don't use carbon media in their filters, and that's fine. It's like using a bubble wand: some benefits, but not really necessary (unless you have a large amount of dissolved organics in your tap water). But they are NOT harmful. When they run out of surface area to adsorb compounds with hydrophobic groups, they simply stop removing these compounds from the tank water.

The one instance where you need to remove carbon from your filter is when you're introducing a medication to your tank. Most of these meds will adsorb to the carbon.

I just like to stay away from all the fiddly things. carbon might do something, or it might do something else, or it might explode. I don't care as long as it isn't in my aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom