Carbon Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Running Carbon?

When I first got into this hobby I thought my tank would be strictly FOWLR but things have changed and I've taken a liking to coral, too much of one maybe.

I've tried to do my research on my way, more specific to the needs of each individual coral that I've wanted to keep. For whatever reason I never came across much information on mixed reefs and didn't think to do much of a search there. I knew I didn't want to keep SPS, just softies and LPS, and have been getting what I need based on those corals needs. Now that I've done some more reading I've came across mention of the chemicals released by softies being a problem for hard corals. It seems this is more towards SPS but I'm sure would affect LPS as well, at least to an extent. With this new information I'm thinking it would be beneficial to run carbon, just in case.

Now my questions are more about how I could go about actually running carbon on my tank. I don't have a sump so my only means of mechanical filtration is my skimmer. It is a Reef Octopus BH 2000. I am hoping I could place carbon in some way in the skimmer that it would prove effective.

Is this possible?

If not, what would be other options?

I tried doing a google search and didn't come across anything. I'd hate to have to add any more equipment, mainly because of space and well..aesthetics as well since I can't hide anything in a sump.

U cannot integrate carbon into a skimmer, without it affecting that skimmer, just grab a small hob filter, of any kind, throw some chemi pure in and run that. Remember to clean every week .

I hadn't even thought about it messing with the effectiveness of the skimmer. I had just thought the carbon itself might not be as effective. Good point though.

I just hate to have to put another piece of HOB equipment on my tank.

How about a filter sock with carbon in rubber banded to your skimmer return.
I used to do this but the filter sock needs cleaning every couple of days ;)

Another effective method, get a filter bag, fill it with carbon, and attach it to the intake of a powerhead. Gauranteed to work.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Sounds it will be easier than I thought to work carbon in without adding on additional equipment.

I used prebagged carbon. I use a veggie clip with a suction cup and attach it to the glass behind some rocks that still have a good flow

I used prebagged carbon. I use a veggie clip with a suction cup and attach it to the glass behind some rocks that still have a good flow

This won't be as effective as the powerhead intake idea. You want water to flow through the carbon not around it.

Back
Top Bottom