Cardinal Tetras At Night??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yv1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just wondering.....do cardinals lose their red stripe at night???? when they sleep ???

My cardinals are all beautifully colored during the day but when the lights are off and i turn em back on real quick just to peek they have no red in them...Is this normal for this fish???

This is my first time keeping them and they've survived 2 tank disasters so I think im doing okay with keeping them alive...Ive heard about the neon tetra disease but i read cardinals dont get affected by it.

Anyone know anything about this?? Thanks!!!

do cardinals lose their red stripe at night????

Mine do, I was very alarmed the first night, and I thought for sure they had ntd and would all die by morning. They've been fine for many months now. I haven't done any research on this, but I'm assuming it's normal.

Ive heard about the neon tetra disease but i read cardinals dont get affected by it.

Yes they do, it can be introduced via a neon tetra that has it. They have to eat the dead neon though :slurp:

My Neons and Blue Rams both do it. It is almost like waking them up for school. They soon get there color back and move about normal.

My flying foxes and chocolate gourami turn pure white after lights out. I think it may happen to a lot of fish.

My neon tetras lose their color at night too. When I first got them, I thought they were all dying!! Plus, in the morning after I turn the light on, it takes them a few minutes to get adjusted and start swimming around. They hit the snooze button a couple of times, like their owner, lol...

oooh i better keep neons away so they dont get the disease.

thanks everyone i thought maybe they were dying secretly or something. :p guess its something fish do as a defense mechanism...pretty cool.

whew. weird that only the red turns white and the blue stripe is blue as ever....when i know deep sea fishes/animals are sometimes colored bright bright red because in the dark it makes them invisible and non reflective. (discovery's blue planet is a great series to own)

:)

You know, I think my red beta does something along those lines, like your cardinals. I was alarmed that its bright red had faded until it was practically white when I turned on the light at night.

Guess it's natural! 8)

Our blue zebra cichlid does the opposite thing, he gets VERY dark when the lights are off. When I first turn the lights on, he actually has dark zebra-type stripes. By the time evening rolls around, he's just pure neon blue. He (she?) is my favorite fish. :)

Ryan

Yeh my cardinals do the same but when they're "on" they look magnificent. I would love to have 5 more of them in my tank :p

Louise

Back
Top Bottom