Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was gonna update tonight, I just got home from reefapalooza!! Great day, even though I barely had time to go onto the convention floor since I had volunteered to work the event. lol I was in charge of the raffle area and boy were there some uber awesome raffle prizes!

I won:
a 20lb bag of fiji pink live sand
a one GALLON bottle of purple up lol
an eshopps nano skimmer which is awesome btw
a whole bunch of reef supplements,
AND a huge container of start up refugium basics which contained 40lbs of live sand, miracle mud, a huge bag of rock rubble, and a bunch of other stuff for a refugium.

Overall great day!

Now for the tank updates:
Still do not have the fixed tand for the 60g, hoping to pick it up this week sometime
I bought another tang for the 180g, a white lined tang, which apparently is in the mustard tang family. Also got a bullet goby and a absolute monster of a hermit crab. He puts my former king crab to shame, he is sooo big lol
The yellow tang is still doing well and the new tang is quite large so no one has bothered him really, I have high hopes for them all making it and being happy. :)

Awesome! I can't wait to see the Tang and Goby, and I am so excited that the Yellow is doing so great...and not to mention the loot! It sounds like things have been going extremely well in Careyland lately!

Ok! I hooked up with a fellow reefer frommy local reef club/forum and got me some new corals!
Traded him 2 bags of salt, one used two little fishies reactor and $20. i got one big rock with GSP all over it and two mushrooms, one smaller rock with gsp all over it and a nice sized red monti AND got a real nice devils hand leather which opens up to like 4 times its size when closed, I feel I did pretty good. :)
Here are some pictures below.

ALSO in one of the pictures you can see my red brain coral, and you can see that part of it is fading very badly, it is turning clear almost and has flesh but no color left in those spots...
Water is perfect! Good flow and it is in the front of the tank not directly under the leds..

Any one have any suggestions or opinions on whats happening?

Thanks!

Got the stand today for the 60g rimless!!! Got the plumbing done already and just waiting on my hubby to setup the light support bars. :) :)

Hoping to have it wet tomorrow!!

The tank actually fits in perfectly, he made some detail trim improvements over the first stand too, looks awesome! Sooo excited!!

Some pictures, and then some more pictures. LOL

Got the sand in, took 60lbs. Used 20lbs of fiji pink and 40lbs of regular oolite. ( I got all three bags for free at reefapalooza!) Have maybe and inch and a half of a sandbed. Little less than I wanted but it will do.
Threw some of the base rock I have in there for now and when there is a half tank full of water I will start adding the rock I have been curing for like 5 months. I have the plaster to cement then together, just have to find the perfect rockscape!

As for the 40b, I actually think my hawaiin hawkfish is getting better. His popeye seems to be going down a tiny bit and he looks like he can see again. I was certain he was blind a few days ago and was destined to pass anytime, he seems to trying to get better. Very happy. :)

The 180g continues to do well, all the tangs are doing good and eat ALOT of food and seaweed sheets. Gave them nine torn up pieces yesterday and they were still looking for more. lol
Anyway, here are the photos, its only 8 am and the lights arent on in any tanks but you can get the feel for em and see the layout. :)

Wow that's a lot of pics. There's a tank on every wall! I love the 60 cube. It's really cool, and the radion. I wish I had the cash for that. I'll be looking for the 60 cube log. ;)

Dsmn makes me want my first tank started that much more

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got the tank about 2/3 of the way full and threw the vortech on low to try to settle some of the haze. :)
Mixing another 25g and making ro/di in the other can. Not enough water or clarity for me to start rockscaping just yet lol.

Not too sure how many people still follow along with my tanks, lol, but I was thinking of creating a new single thread for all my updates, questions and general fish chatter.

You guys think that would be a good idea?

hehe

back to the water!

Ither way I usually browse on breaks, this app has denunatly made me anxious to start my 30

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I spent the day catching up on your build.I think it looks great.
I am slowly starting up again with the exact same tank and I have a few questions.One: Are you using the glass canopy with the Curre​nt USA Orbi​t
Mari​ne LED?,two what setting would you recommend for a FOWLR and three did your Deep Blue Professional stand look like this(if it did I wasted $200 buck :(:
Thanks!

Attachments

• 40g breeder.jpg
    40g breeder.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 89
Hi there. :)

Thats a gen 1 stand, I didnt get one like that cause of the center piece, woulda made working on it a pain I figured. All teh deep blue stands are made out of particle board so you will get some life out of it but it will most likely need to be replaced at some point. The store I bought it from even told me that they are notorious for doing that and if he had known he would have had me go with a custom stand when I first got the tank a few years ago.

As for the lights, nope no top, I dont have any jumping fish, at least i dont think they will be jumpers. lol Better gas exchange for the tank and helps keep the pH stable.
Any setting on the light would be fine, its up to what you like, you can use one of their built in settings but if you want different times or color combinations then just manually set it up. :) I would say for fish only, keep your lights on for no more than 10-12 hours. That way you can admire your fish when you leave for work/school and at the end of your day. lol I run my 90g fowlr with blues from 10 to 12 noon, then the whites come on at noon and stay on with the blues until 9pm when the whites go off and the blues stay on til 11pm i think. I dont run moonlights, fish need some sleep too!

I love the pictures, and am so glad that the Hawkfish is doing better. I love seeing your updates! :-D

I hope you never stop them....I have been a little busy lately but will be on much more frequently (explanation for not posting for a few days). :)

Still doing great, I'm, actually surprised. It looks like it is growing a small branch as well, cant see very well cause its very very puffy. lol

However, I lost a lobo in this tank. It turned clear on the flesh and then it just rotted away over like 3 days. It was on the sandbed not directly under the light....

Any thoughts? Not enough light or to much light? I have duncans in the same place and they are doing well

Back
Top Bottom