Carey's 40b Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No haven't been to any places down there is it cheaper than the Daytona spots

If you've been to amazing you know their prices are super high but the quality is tops and its mostly aquacultured. Then we have Poseidon which has pretty much every coral you could want, he has everything I swear, lol, and heis reasonable. Now exotic-reefs has some good quality and super cheap prices. If you like zooas and mushrooms they are the people to see. here is a link to their page:

Exotic Reefs - Welcome

You can even find zooas and mushrooms for less than $5 each. Not alot of polyps, but designer zooas with a few polyps.

Not familiar with corals but eventually will go there probably which place should I go to request my fish for my tank if none are available

Oops so sorry to interrupt your thread so much

Poseidon wont order fish for people generally, amazing can do it and the place in new smyrna.

You can chime in with any questions whenever you like, no problem,. :)

I am glad things are coming along, Carey! I have been reading along and enjoying......can't wait to see it all set up!

Productive day for me today!
Bought 25lbs of base rock, its really nice, I got like 4 pieces and three of them have huge holes going thru them for little fishies which will be perfect!
Also picked up 2 20lb bags of fiji pink live sand and a tube of acrylic for the overflow box. :)
I also got some nls fish food and a 2.5 lb flat pack of pemysis! I am set for a bit now.
I spent a good amount of time in poseidon looking around and lo and behold what do they have in stock? THE NEW ruby red mandarin!!!! I am in love with these little guys and am pretty sure that I will be getting one for this tank. They are like $90 online but the store has them for $45! The owner said a few are even eating brine so thats promising.
I think the plan for stocking will be itty bitty fish. So far, the ruby red is a must have and I also very badly want a two spot, signal goby. Yep, I know they can be difficult to feed but if I can make the mandarin work I bet I can get him to thrive as well. Any other ideas out there for itty bitty fish or other small ones? I plan on an open top too so keep that in mind.
And finally, the 60g stand is supposed to be done by Friday so that will be another build. :)

Thanks!!

LOL, I dont think you are allowed to take sand, are you? I'll be right by the water too, only a few blocks away.

Not sure about FL. But here in Hawaii i believe we are allowed to take up to one gallon of sand a day or 5...something like that, even so I still buy my sand lol

I want to get a Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby, Orange Stripe Prawn Goby and a Rainsford Goby for mine. Not sure they will all be okay together though. Also want a Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse... I'm guessing they are typical wrasse jumpers, but have not looked into them much yet.

Took some photos of the rock and how I like it in the tank. :) And my other goodies.

Couldnt get the rest to copy for whatever reason. stupid photbucket lol

Not to be a negative nancy or question your skills to pay the bills Carey, but with your recent losses do you think you are up for trying such difficult fish right after such a loss? We both know how upset you get when things happen. All this being said, I wouldn't be able to say no for a 'half priced' ruby red mandarin already eating prepared foods.

I appreciate your post sniper. :) I've been thinking about the ruby red and I think the only way I can try one is if I can get a local supply of live brine and see if I can wean him onto prepared like I did for my scooter and the mandarin. It also wont be the first fish in the tank, not sure what fish that will be, lol, but taking suggestions. :)

After seeing and watching the ruby reds at the lfs I just dont think I can say no to one. They move just like the scooter did and are sooo tiny! They are one of the most adorable fish I have ever seen.

Definitely need more clown gobies. :) And another jawfish too. I want fish that are mostly bottom dwellers or perchers. i will get the swimmy type fish for the 60g. lol

I for sure want another yellow clown goby and a green one. The black might be nice if I can find one locally. :)

I received my orbit led fixture today and it's pretty neat. i am still playing with it, it has so many different settings and i can customize them too. The fixture itself is very lightweight and streamlined, you barely notice it on the tank. lol
The box does say that if you want to keep sps you might need an additional fixture which is fine since my overall goal isnt to really keep much sps, maybe a chalice or monti, but nothing crazy thats for sure. The mix of color is also very good, and can be adjusted by 1% increments so you can get just the right color for your tank.
I was playing with the weather effects but only managed to try the lightening storm which is kinda cool, but the different cloud covers I havent figured out yet. lol

I will take some pictures in a bit, maybe even a short video to show how it looks.
So far looks to be a quality product, just hoping it can keep what I want to grow. :)

You've gotta love Clown Gobies! They are such cute and colorful fish! That light fixture sounds really interesting, especially the lightening storm feature! :)

Back
Top Bottom