Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are some fun fish! How mesmerizing!

Are the other fish in the cube acting okay? Maybe the ammonia killed of some beneficial bacteria? :confused:

Cool video. There is a lot of movement in that tank and it looks like all the new additions are doing fine.

Figured it was time to update whats been going on. I have been testing the water in both the cube and 180g several times a day trying to figure out if it is in fact ammonia. I even threw in some prime into both tanks just in case. Prime doesnt cause a false negative does it? Cause now the ammonia is almost undetectable in both tanks a day later. I'm hoping the live rock just did its job and processed it, no sign of nitrites in either tank though and mild levels of nitrates.
All the fish in the 180g seem fine still, I still havent seen the naso eat anything other than seaweed though, not sure what to do about that. Also haven't seen the mandarin eat either which really has me worried. And those **** chromis, another one jumped into the overflow and i cant take it apart again until the new bulkhead I ordered gets here on tuesday. The bulkhead nut is stripped from taking it off the last time the chromis got in. lol

Thats about it I guess, so some good and some bad news, it could be alot worse I suppose.

I'm sure the Naso will come around! Until then he is just enjoying his seaweed. :) Does Mandy still have pods in the Cube?

Jumpy fish can certainly be trying! Lol.

Maybe you can cover the tips with some BRS netting, or something of the like.....hmmm...

My honey took a plastic soda bottle and cut it up so it would cover the hole where the chromis keep jumping into lol. Still have to wait til tuesday to get him out though, I feel kinda bad but theres not much we can do.

The cube is completely bare of pods now. I nuked it 2 weeks ago and then added the live rock that was aipastia free but there were no pods on it. :-( She is pretty fat so hopefully she can last til she starts eating again. Silly fish can be so frustrating at times. lol

My honey took a plastic soda bottle and cut it up so it would cover the hole where the chromis keep jumping into lol. Still have to wait til tuesday to get him out though, I feel kinda bad but theres not much we can do. The cube is completely bare of pods now. I nuked it 2 weeks ago and then added the live rock that was aipastia free but there were no pods on it. :-( She is pretty fat so hopefully she can last til she starts eating again. Silly fish can be so frustrating at times. lol

I definitely know the feeling of frustrating fish! I have a Betta right now that really does not like Betta pellets, so I feed him flake insted.....who he seems to like. Lol

Oh theres a ton of stuff.....anthias, cleaner wrasses a boatload of small fish. Its really odd how the picture doesnt capture any . lol They also have that 800 gallon tang tank, they have tangs bigger than my head in that one. I really need to get a shot of that one. lol It is probably the most stunning tank I ahve ever seen in person OR online.

AS an update on the 180g, the naso is still not eating. I called the lfs where I got him to see what they fed him and was told algae sheets. lol I mean really, I know he must have been eating more than that. They said to try mysis and lots of seaweed sheets which is what I have been doing. I added garlic to the food today hoping it would help but he still didnt try any. I think I am going to get some live brine and see if that has any feeding response from him. I am beside myself right now, I really dont want to lose him, he is beautiful. He swims with the other fish all over and is behaving perfectly normal. Also, he ate mysis in the store before I purchased him so I know he does eat. Just not for me.

Nope, none of the tangs is pecking at all. The rock is incredibly clean though so theres nothing there right now. I really hope youre right. This is gonna keep me up at night until he starts eating. :-(

Nope, none of the tangs is pecking at all. The rock is incredibly clean though so theres nothing there right now. I really hope youre right. This is gonna keep me up at night until he starts eating. :-(

He is probably getting a good amount of nourishment from the algae sheets in the meantime!

id just like to go on record in saying that that tank is NOT a small tank lol. jsut give him some time Carey, im sure he will come around. you clearly are able to keep tangs nice and fat so im sure he will come around eventually. soon enough youll be wondering how he got so fat.

Hey X, running 3 chinese dimmable panels.

bad news in fish land today. My husband thought he saw the naso dead so went in the tank to fish him out and he wasnt dead, but he knocked a couple rocks over and hit the royal gramma and one of the filefish. The file fish seems ok but the gramma is just about dead. He is still alive but barely. :-( My hubby feels so bad too.....

The naso is almost dead as well, he was under a rock just lying there and hasnt come out all day.

Just a bad day all around. Going to call the shop I got the tang at and see what they can do about the dying soon to be dead tang. He was my most expensive fish to date. So pretty too....really bummed. I've had the gramma for awhile now too so his death isnt going over so well with me. I tried to do everything I could for them, I really did but sometimes I guess everything isnt enough.

The other fish are fine still, might have to make more caves I think, the naso and yellow were just swimming around all night last night with no place I guess to sleep. If the naso is still alive in the morning I will for sure get some live brine and see if that helps, but he really looked about gone 2 hours ago. The filefish is scared poopless after the rock avalanche, but he is swimming around at least.

let this be a lesson to you guys, make sure your structures are STURDY. It's partly my fault for the fish getting crushed as I should have made the rock structure husband proof.

Back
Top Bottom