Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the yellow tang died recently it is time to add some fish to this tank. :)

I will be getting a new yellow tang, BUT I was thinking, could I get two of them? There shouldnt be much aggression cause of them being added at the same time and I know some people have kept multiples. :)

I've seen schools of yellows in large tanks, but I've also seen 2 yellows attacking each other relentlessly. It's a crap shoot.

^ +1 If your going with yellow tangs you'll need an odd number as it spreads the aggression so no single one is always getting bullied. I have 3 in my 180 and they get on just fine.

LOL, I'd love to do three, but I think 5 tangs may be too much.

Might try the two and see what happens.

Its kinda weird because on the reefs they cruise around like a swarm of locust in large groups BUT in the home aquarium they seem to hate each otherImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393188351.911445.jpg

I'm sure they need to feel a threat to school like that. (No scientific facts to add, just thinking out loud). Maybe add a barracuda or a large grouper in there, and I'm sure they'd start schooling... Lol.

I say the difference in social behavior could be contributed to the amount of threat the tangs feel. Obviously in the wild there would be a bigger need to school as opposed to an aquarium. Carey, I got a purple and yellow to coexist and I didn't put them in at the same time, so 2 yellows should be doable

That's a great picture! :)

Thank you,.i took that picture a couple of years ago off a reef in Hawaii ,... Very interesting to watch ,.sorry Carey didn't mean to reroute your thread just thought there is such a drastic difference between their two worlds.

This is a pretty well known effect. Many schooling fish refuse to school when in a captive environment. Maybe the reduced space causes it, who knows?

LOL, I'd love to do three, but I think 5 tangs may be too much.

Might try the two and see what happens.

I have 2 yellows...not on purpose but had to rescue a friends during an ice storm. To be honest the chasing is minimal

Well, the debate is over. lol

I went and got a very small yellow tang and a small-ish naso. Its been a few days and so far so good. The tomini chased the tiny yellow the first day but everyone is getting along fine now.
The naso eats like a pig but the yellow is not so eager to eat. I have seen him eat a few times but nothing like the other tangs. Both new tangs are very thin so I am hoping to bulk them up quite a bit. lol

Crap!! Wish I could of got into the debate before now! My vote would of def been for a purple! Lol

The new yellow tang is not eating. Doesnt take flak, pellets or frozen. Not sure what to do, other than maybe try some live brine.
The naso is looking good, thank god. But the yellow is looking rough, very very thin and his tummy is lumpy.
sigh, I really hope her starts eating soon, I cant take this starving itself stuff.....

The new yellow tang is not eating. Doesnt take flak, pellets or frozen. Not sure what to do, other than maybe try some live brine.
The naso is looking good, thank god. But the yellow is looking rough, very very thin and his tummy is lumpy.
sigh, I really hope her starts eating soon, I cant take this starving itself stuff.....
Hopefully it's just shy and will get hungry enough to eat soon.

Lost the yellow tang. :-( Can't find him anywhere so he's dead i am assuming. Still have to rip apart the tank to find the body.

I am rethinking the yellow now, maybe I should get another kind of tang? I was looking at the whitecheeks today. They look really nice and they have a different body type than the ones I have so maybe it wouldnt be an issue adding him after the others?

Sorry to hear. Do you have a big CUC? When I lost a Leopard wrasse the only way I knew it was dead was a nitrate spike because they are known to stay in sand for days.

Back
Top Bottom