Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SOOO I went fish and gear shopping today. :-D You know what that means...

I got myself another squareback anthias. Woot!!

Was too hard to resist so I went for it. He's in acclimation right now.

Pictures to come!

Can't wait for the pictures! They are awesome fish!

coffeetwitch said:
If it's one of those fuzzy dwarf lions. I think I read that a lion could easily fit a clown in their mouth and therefore would be considered food at some point

Lionfish def have ginormous mouths, mines pretty passive, just follows me around when im near the tank. They have no problem swallowing fish that are of comparable size to them. Volitans can reach 15", fdl's about 7-9 I believe... so even a fuzzy would be capable of gulping a clown or other similar fish in a heartbeat

yup. i've seen people try all sorts of things...running a length of tubing through a container of liquid, by itself, different types of tubing...no one was successful to date. the electric cost was much greater, the unit was harder to regulate. in the end it was easier to just spend the 4-500 and get the chiller.

Id just use the compressor itself to chill a radiator that the tank water goes thru. But yeah easier and safer to buy one. nice project to do if you had that parts already.

hmmm i happen to have a "spare" mini fridge to work with if my wife will let me attempt... but thats a long shot

I still have the lights off in the 55g, but the fish refuses to come out. LOL Almost had a picture just now but my camera battery died. hehe...I will try to get one soon.

How long should I give this guy to get adjusted? He was hiding at the LFS too kinda, he came out when the fish guy guy shut down the tanks light. I don't wanna stress the big guy out so I figured I'd give him a day or two to get used to the tank. I also haven't seen him eat, this worries me. Almost every single fish I have ever gotten has eaten on the first day. :-(

I'm probably being overly paranoid on this guy since I lost the first one I tried those many months ago. But any sugggestions would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for continuing to follow along :-D

They eat algae and creatures from the water column primarily...I was going to try some cyclopeeze and see if that works. I figure he should be fine in the 55g as it's been setup for months and months and has some good beneficial life living in it. But I have no algae whatsoever in the 55g, except for the coralline so I'm hoping he will eat some prepared foods. I will add some garlic extreme to his next feeding and see if that works, thanks for the suggestion, I always forget I have it. lol

Yeah, I didn't have much success with the first one I tried to keep. Not sure if he died from the "plague" my tank had or on his own. He went in the tank the same day as the toxic blue tang did. :-(

Just a few minutes ago he swam out from behind the rocks and was in the front for a bit. :) He just swam right back behind the rocks though. But I take that as a good sign. I still have the lights off but I will try feeding the tank soon maybe he will at least eat. Not that I'd see it though lol

Hey carey. Was talking with kio about his mandarin and thinking nutrimar ova. I went to the web site and said it will disperse in the water column. I was thinking about your anthia

Well good news to report on the anthias. seems he LOVES brine and mysis, he has been pigging out on it for the last two days. He also is coming out more and more so that's a relief. I currently just have the blue lights on for him though, trying to wean him onto the whites as well.

Luckily the LFS already treated this fish for parasites and dipped him too so I don't have to worry about that. :)

On another note, my midas blenny AND the blue reef chromis are finally in stock at the same time at LA. I'm thinking about ordering them today but am wondering if I should. The anthias being so picky and shy i don't wanna stress him out by adding more fish, 6 to be exact lol.

what do you guys think? Also that would mean the anthias would have to stay in qt as long as the new fish as I don't know what if anything the new fish will be carrying with them. Any thoughts? Should I just jump on the new fish or wait it out for the anthias? he has another week and a half left of qt.

Back
Top Bottom