Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good link. I was just about to ask further about those lights too. they seem awesome. but it does seem that uv light would be bad for coral.

If you read the latest edition of coral make there is an excellant article on LED and one guys multi year expierement with all sps and the results he was happiest with included UV leds in his final set up.

i don't see how the UV light is anythign but bad. the UV light is bad for humans and corals have a fleshy exterior too, SPS may be a hard coral but they still have a flesh and UV rays are the highest form of radiation so it will burn almost anything.

the only way i can see UV light doing anything for a coral is by tanning them

Yep, thats kinda what i was thinking. bad for us, gotta be bad for them...but it seems like such a neat concept though, I think I will be sticking with the blues and whites. lol

It is guy that actually has them on his tank and the final array of lights are producing amazing growth on all his corals.

but everyone is getting amazing growth on their corals. do you actually think that everyone up till now has been doing the wrong thing?

Just read that issue 4 or 5 articles all on led went very deep on the scientific level and broke everything down. Worth the tough read but really does bring insight into lighting a reef tank.

i just googled that magazine and it says nothing about LED articles in the current issue, except the cover. i guess it must be purchased in order to see the ones you are speaking of.
can you link anything here?

zooxanthellae protect corals from uv lights, adding uv into the mix will produce more zooxanthelae, causing competition between the zooxanthellae and the coral to compete for nutrition, which could cause the coral to become undernourished. The increase in zooxanthellae population also causes the corals to become darker with a deep brown tint that obscures the natural pigment of the coral.

at least that's what my reading has lead me to believe, we already have a an overabundance of algae nutrients in our tank which can also induce an over-density of the zooxanthellae populations, adding uv into the mix will just add to a problem.

Back
Top Bottom