Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The five fish I had and the new yellow tang are all fine. I had every forager out the other morning eating the anthias so I would assume that if it was killing fish it would have been munching on it as well.

The Kole tang had the same thing the blue tang had physically. Dark brown splotches. I don't think I added too many, maybe I did, but I added 4 fish over 3 weeks.

I'm kinda hoping maybe they were affected by that ammonia strip thing, both the tangs were in the exact spot I pulled it out from. maybe they rubbed against it and got chemical burns?

I really don't know, I'm actually thinking about bailing on the 125g. Everything was perfect in the 55g and now I have all these issues.

just take your time. you did kind of rush into the 125 build

please don't get discouraged because of a few deaths

Breathe, nice deep breath. You want this big tank so you can have tangs. You love this tank. You have put so much effort into it. There maybe something they are catching if the yellow tang doesn't get it, then maybe it was him beating them up at night? Keep the tank going, it will get better above all, you know your fish, if something isn't right with them, do what you know is right.

Carey? What happened to Carey?

Here's the deal sweetie. 125 gallons is just a number. You have more than enough experience to be able to manage a saltwater tank of that size and larger. Yes... Losing fish sucks. But the truth of
It is, the thing that makes you so discouraged about losing 3 fish is the thing that makes you a good and responsible aquarist. You actually care and try much harder than a lot of us.

There isn't an experienced reefer out there that hasn't made mistakes, crashed a tank, or lost some livestock. They learn from it and they do better. You had a setback. Take what you now know and work from there.

You know you need better access to your tank. So figure out a system that works for you. Whatever that is.

Regroup with your fish and in a few weeks after the stress has calmed down and the tank has settled go look for a new neighbor for your fishy friends. Cry it out, get mad, but don't give up. You have to be able to learn from your mistakes and take whatever criticism (including the self-inflicted) with a grain of salt. Look at this whole experience as a learning tool and come out stronger and smarter on the other side. In the end this is just a blip on the radar of your aquarium experiences and you can't possibly let one failure override all of your successes. Chin up

Carey you can't give up! Who am I gonna run to with all my questions on my 125?? You're a few steps ahead of me so its some inspirational :)

I know what you guys are saying, and I appreciate it like you don't know. Thanks. :)

It's been a rough week in fish tank land:
dead blue tang
dead kole tang
dead anthias
dead starfish
entire rock of zenia melted
The filter and tank on my new 20L is a nightmare.
AND to top it off the cichlid 125g tank had its first issue, the **** lights are broken. They are double bulb perfectos but still now I need to buy new lights for them. i was gonna spend the money on new bulbs for the reef to help my corals since they look like crap now.

Sorry to rant, thats just the stuff off the top of my head. It's just making me rethink myself. And it's not me, i can and do devote the time and money i should but the list above still happened.

the xenia and starfish had nothing to do with you (besides you buying them, making a diver pull them from the ocean). i don't know about the fish fatalities.
i look here-
Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

btw, i know how it feels losing something that's under your care. i'm sorry you have to feel it too.

you probably already checked but do you have any ammonia or nitrite

Carey those new fish brought in something, probably marine velvet. I would qt and treat everything still alive. Leave the tank fallow for 6-8 weeks and start over.

This probably doesn't have anything to do with the tank or your parameters. These fish are dying within days of each other. This is something contagious. Look through that list and see if the symptoms are matching. If you catch the other pre-symptom you may save some of them. Did you quarantine the 4 new fish you bought or place them straight in the DT?

I already have the other clown removed in a 10g now. he has some sort of skin recesion. It's not peeling but its disclored. I added some voogle and some melafix but thats all I could think to do.

QT lesson was learned after the blue tang died. The kole was in before the blue and was fine. The yeloow went in a week after the kole and the anthias and blue went in together.

amm-0
trite-0
trate-10
phos--.13
salinity-1.025

I just don't understand how they go from fine to dead in a few hours.
The only things left are the blenny and goby. havent seen the gramma in 2 days so I'm not optimistic, but you never know I suppose.

The candycane is aas good as dead then, since I could never find a half inch fish in 6 ft of rock.

what about my sea hare and shrimp?

carey said:
QT lesson was learned after the blue tang died. The kole was in before the blue and was fine. The yeloow went in a week after the kole and the anthias and blue went in together.

amm-0
trite-0
trate-10
phos--.13
salinity-1.025

I just don't understand how they go from fine to dead in a few hours.
The only things left are the blenny and goby. havent seen the gramma in 2 days so I'm not optimistic, but you never know I suppose.

The candycane is aas good as dead then, since I could never find a half inch fish in 6 ft of rock.

what about my sea hare and shrimp?

Omg carey im so sorry this has happens to you.. please don't give up ur an insperation to many of us..

Try to get them out and give them a formalin bath... Quickcure? contains formalin. That is what I'm reading on Wetwebmedia. It sounds like the tank will have to sit fishless for 6-8 before anything goes back in. From the sounds of it velvet is pretty quick. Fish stop eating and then behave erratically (flashing, lying on sand or rock, gasping for breath) and finally developed a shimmery brown look to them. The parasites actually start at the gills. Fish tend to die extremely quickly. I think that velvet can come in on your inverts but doesn't affect them? So if it is velvet, the general consensus is that shrimp and the hare should be fine.

Could the whole display tank be treated with formalin? I put quick cure in mine and all is well now (well my fish died, but from the disease cuz it was brooklynella not velvet - and only the affected clownfish died).

Someone else may know better if you could or not. But I removed my snails and crabs and treated the DT.

its always said when you have a mixed system to QT all fish before they are added, and add slowly as you could bring in a fish and not know which one actually carried the parasite into your system, as well you would not lose so many new fish all at once

Back
Top Bottom