Carey's New Years Tank(s) Update!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it has been FOREVER since I have been online here and I guess you'd say alot of transpired over the last year or so. Tanks have gone up, some have gone down, fish have passed :-( and new ones added. I'll try to give a quick rundown of each tank that is still standing. Just took a whole bunch of photos of the tanks so I will post them at the end. :)

The 90g fish only- Yep, one of my favorite tanks as it stands much higher than any other I have had due to the tall stand is STILL going strong. The only fish that died during the year was the lunar wrasse, no idea how old he was when i got him but he was pretty darn big when he went in. lol The lone black clown is in there, the big eyed squirrel fish, banana wrasse, the blue eyed tang, a Flame Hawk and of course TeddyBear, the super long AND fat engineer goby. He is well over two feet now and doesn't seem to wanna stop growing. hehe
No changes in equipment other than taking down the T5's and putting up a 48-60 inch Orbit LED. It is "just" the right amount of light for a fowlr of this size. Glad I purchased it. :)

THE 60g Rimless Cube- This tank is still running after I re-did it due to the absolutely unimaginable aipastia I had in there. Though I re-did the rock and everything I managed to get aipastia AGAIN but it's all in the overflow so at least it isn't bothering the corals. Not sure what I had going on in here the last time I updated but currently we have: Two Percula clowns, one spotted hawkfish, one haitian hawkfish, 3 blue green chromis, a matted filefish and the naso tang STILL is in here. He is the proper size to move but I am honestly afraid he will die if I move him. He is the biggest baby and pansy ever. He is scared of every other fish and I don't have the heart to move him and risk him dying after I raised him from a teeny tiny little guy. I will wait a little while longer for the move, maybe get him a little bigger. I lost the lawnmower blenny a few months ago and the firefish eventually jumped. :-( Still running the radion and the MP10 but picked up a reef Octopus Diablo rated for 160g so it's got great filtration. I am planning on re-doing the plumbing soon as it's awful messy underneath. lol The tank is getting full of coral too, hoping to get even more this year

NEW TANK- 13.3g Mr Aqua Rimless Bowfront- Picked up this tank a few months ago and really love it. The glass is low iron so it is amazing to look at, it's as clear as the 60g rimless. Very cool tank. :) What we have in here is: 3 blue green chromis, a royal gramma and a yellow watchman goby WITH a pistol shrimp! My first ever match up of these guys. It is super awesome how the fish will takes care of the shrimp, he will bump him back into their hole if I get too close or move stuff around in the tank. lol Also have two peppermint shrimp ( LOVE these guys and they are cheap), a fire shrimp and two emerald crabs. Running an aquaclear 20 and a teeny tiny little reef octopus skimmer. I even have two powerheads in there, koralia 425's. With alot of tinkering I got them not to blow sand all over. I have a good amount of coral in there but the light, an AI nano led does not have enough spread so I am currently looking at other led's. I would love to pick up the radion nano light but not sure yet. I will say this though, the AI has not impressed me in the least, maybe the higher end ones from AI are better but this nano kinda stinks. This tank has been very easy to upkeep too which is a plus. Planning on more coral, of course, once I get my lighting situated.

125g African Cichlid Tank- Yes, it's a freshwater but still going strong after all these years. It's worth a mention since my freshwater was my first go at fishkeeping in over 20 years and fueled my OBSESSION with doing salt tanks.

AND FINALLY the 180g!

I haven't replaced the coral I destroyed when I went to LED's the previous year, still have a good bunch of Paly's and the one soft coral which is quite big now. I am currently running the 12 bulb t5's again which I HATE but still plotting what I am gonna do as far as lighting or **if** an upgrade is in the near future. I am partial to a 400g tank that my one lFS has but that might be going a little too far for the space I have allocated for the "big" tank in the house.
Now, what's swimming in the 180g? LOL We have the "Tang Gang" still, the blue hippo Pootie Tang, the yellow, Tomini and white lined tangs. Have a matted filefish, the pair of Black clowns (they are so huge now), a yellow coris wrasse, lined squirrel fish, melanarus wrasse, Midas Blenny, Arc Eye Hawkfish and a falco Hawkfish. I think that is everyone in there. Sadly about two months ago, my oldest fish ever, the grumpy goby, aka pink spotted goby went missing. I've had him since my very first saltwater tank, the 29g. I'm still kinda sad about him dying, he was grumpy looking but he was so big and cool. I still have the pistol shrimp believe it or not, him and Pootie tang are the oldest fish now.
Two months ago or so I re-did the entire sump area. Got a Trigger Ruby Red 36 inch sump and bought all new plumbing including red pvc with sch 80 grey parts, it looks very cool I must say. lol Still running the ASM G3 and it is still a beast. lol Also added a 3250 gph koralia recently to go along with the other two powerheads. AND I finally bought a DCT Jebao return pump, I got the 12000 litre one for about 3000 gph. I now have great flow and it uses less electricity and is alot more quiet then the mag18.

I know this was super long, but I hope someone read it. :) LOL

For those who know/remember me they are used to the excessively long posts I tend to put up. hehe

AND NOW THE PHOTOS!! There a ton, so I will post them in separate posts.

I really hope to spend more time on the site, I miss you guys and the great advice I used to get. :)

Looking at the photos I see I missed the cleaner wrasse and the rabbit fish in the 180g when I went through the cast of the tank. And yes, I know the bottom of the 180g is dirty, lol, I can only reach as far as I got I need to get on a ladder to get the bottom near the sand. lol

Love getting to see the tanks, was wondering what the heck was going on with all your gallonage!!!

I like the Plating Monti and the Toadstool, really beautiful.

Everything seems to be going pretty well overall. Great to see all the nice fish you have in lots of water. Miss you. Come more often!!!

Thanks guys. I miss this site but real life just gets in the way alot and I dont get to log on often. :-(

I'm hoping in the new year to be a bit more active here. So many new people! lol

But I will always have my fishies, I don't see this obsession ending anytime soon. lol

Tanks look awesome! We miss you too Carey! Definitely been slower in the SW side of the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It has been quite some time since you've been around. Glad you are keeping us updated. I wish my tank was doing as well as yours.

If i understood SW I'd join the ranks... I love your guys tanks. Careys 400gl upgrade will be awesome to see.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I stalk the SW threads, and .... Just dream

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heya guys!!! Sniper, what happened to your tanks? You had some awesome stuff going on last I remember......

ANd poppa, stalkers are always welcome. :) At least until we "convert" you over to the salty side, stalking these posts will give you a jumpstart on the knowledge you'll need if you do go salty. lol

Time, build up in dead zones, and no ro/di. I recently changed gfo to bio beads and things are going in the right direction. Many casualties along the way, to include my tomini tang. So it is nice to hear of long standing systems still doing well. I'm just continuing the war until an eventual upgrade and it not being run on distilled water.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Sniper, I know with some dedication you will get things going smoothly again. I guess ro/di in the long run is the BEST thing you could do. :)

And yep, I have a towel hanging from EVERY tanks cabinet door, lol, I always have my hand in one or another for something. lol

I've been in a kinda "lull" lately and not doing much proactively with my tanks....Other than the re-do on the plumbing for the 180g I havent done anything "new" or exciting. lol I am hoping to get back into the swing of things and maybe add the biopellet reactor back on the 180g and maybe add one onto the 60g just for good measure. I also purchased LED strips, the long kind that are like 16 feet long to line the under cabinet of the 180g for light. :) I have red and just received a roll of white, I need to get motivated and install them. I currently have a home depot hang light as my source of lighting underneath. I just KNOW one day it is gonna fall into the ato reservoir lol as thats where I have it hooked up to.

It's good to hear from you. I'm glad that all the tanks are doing so well. I love the red pvc. Still no white tail tang?

Glad your back. You and mr x helped me out a ton in my early reefing days

Back
Top Bottom