Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I got motivated today so I added the remora pro skimmer to this tank.

Do you think it looks too busy now with all this gear hanging off of it?

The other skimmer I am contemplating now is a tunze or a nano remora but I fear I'll have the same issue with the sizes. I'm also gettting micro bubbles too. :-(

Look at the pictures below and let me know if it looks ok...

I don't think it is too busy, since the tank is the tank is the main focus :). Ever since I got my skimmer working again in the red sea max for the first few hours it would have some micro bubbles, but would then stop. Good luck!

I'm gonna let it run for a few days and see what that gets me. I also could fill the tank up more as well, make for less of a water fall adn less bubbles being sucked back in from the skimmer.
:)

I was just wondering.....do you pick one day of the week to do maintenance on your tanks or do you spread it out?

Since I have so many tanks I usually dedicate the weekends to main stuff like water changes. But for example I just now changed a filter sock on my 125g. I'll do small things here and there throughout the week.

My SW tanks get extra attention in that they are tested every few days so if I feel an extra pwc is in order I just do it.

No one else but me thinks its too busy or too crowded? LOL

if you do just say so, I want the truth. :)

I'm debating buying a nano remora from a member but if its just 2 inches smaller it will still look obtrusive to me.

The in tank tunze won't be much better though. It hangs on the tank by a magnet.

I'm just so unsure. I know I don't need a skimmer on this size tank but wanted to go all out. Maybe I can save some of this money for my 90g build?

What would you guys do?

carey said:

I'm debating buying a nano remora from a member but if its just 2 inches smaller it will still look obtrusive to me.

The in tank tunze won't be much better though. It hangs on the tank by a magnet.

I'm just so unsure. I know I don't need a skimmer on this size tank but wanted to go all out. Maybe I can save some of this money for my 90g build?

What would you guys do?

It don't look bad at all. One thing you can do is lower your pump for your skimmer and you won't be able to see to behind the rocks

I'll be really honest - I think it does look busy. When I think of the reason for a rimless tank, it is to have clean, or as clean as possible, lines.

I had a vision for what a rimless, open-top aquarium with a pendant hanging light floating above, and that's it. No powerhead cords, no hob filters, and no skimmer.

How possible that is... it isn't, but I can totally understand where your mind is at.

I don't really have the answers as to how to change it, but to me, yes it looks like a rimless tank with half of it's rim gone. ;)

I will add, that even though I do think it looks busy, I don't think it looks bad. Knowing what the equipment does, for me almost makes the stuff fade away.

I stacked against the back wall for this tank. I had to make room and re scape part of it today just to get the pump in. LOL

Thanks for your opinion. I'm gonna see if it doesn't grow on me. I hopefully will be moving this tank 3 feet to the left against a wall. I might be hanging some lighting over it then. And then the skimmer will have to go I think. Everything else will be streamlined I think and look much better.

choices adn more chocies...kinda in the air on this build.

If I could have the perfect rimless it would have cordless PH's hidden behind the rocks facing outward, the heater would be behind the rocks near the sand, no thermometer or Magfloat showing, drilled in the back to accomodate small canister filter, and no skimmer. And like I said above, I would figure out some way to allow the light to "float" above the tank.

That's my perfect scenario.

Exactly! Very spartan looking but with a "wow" oh boy inside. Under blueish tinted leds'...now thats what I envision

I will say also, that looking at this tank the rockscape and the corals are beautiful, so really, just like I do at home, I focus on what counts and the rest aren't really noticable.

I think I'm leaning on the side of no skimmer. Thansk guys, kinda clciked how i want it to look. I'm gonna try to re scape tomorrow and maybe try the hiding the powerhead tip. :)

Thanks!!

I kno this sounds like an overkill but how bout a sump or wet dry so you can only have an overflow box and the return with the light over

carey said:

What would you guys do?

Well... I thought it looked kinda crowded but didn't wanna be rude LOL
I really like ur set up, but just too much stuff hanging from the back. One big reason why I went with a sump ;)

Trust me, i have given that all some thought. But I'll be moving ahead with the 90g build shortly and will need to concentrate on that ones drilled plumbing. LOL

I just wanna get the tank moved adn clean it up a bit. I've gotta keep a filter so there goes my pretty streamlined look. But I think it will be ok with just the filter. I'll be messing with the heater and everything tomorrow.

I've got a eshopps wet dry with overflow box for 150 and an Oddysea pump which I put my stuff in and it cleared my water by atleast 30% it's cheapest on dr smith n foster

So my shopping day is now done. :)

I ended up buying a clump or macro algae for my 125g and a beautiful striped blenny for this tank. woohoo! It was very active in the store so I'm hoping he'll add some life to the tank.

He's still acclimating but heres the little guy! I hope to catch a better shot once he's in the tank, he's quite colorful. :-D

img_1560377_0_6914e188ed9dcba1a48d81be6a18091c.jpg

img_1560377_1_b0f0e5479283d4e14ed32e46624ab397.jpg

So my shopping day is now done. :)

I ended up buying a clump or macro algae for my 125g and a beautiful striped blenny for this tank. woohoo! It was very active in the store so I'm hoping he'll add some life to the tank.

He's still acclimating but heres the little guy! I hope to catch a better shot once he's in the tank, he's quite colorful. :-D

img_1560378_0_6914e188ed9dcba1a48d81be6a18091c.jpg

img_1560378_1_b0f0e5479283d4e14ed32e46624ab397.jpg

Great! Can't wait to see him in the tank!

here are some pictures of my new baby. he is actually pretty camera friendly as you can see. really pretty fish the more I look at it. :)

img_1560569_0_6e753636edf0fe59f0f42c696027956f.jpg

img_1560569_1_ec924362e91e064474e6831db1c079fd.jpg

img_1560569_2_6a5610d96bc6c96eb16e816d82e9dbaf.jpg

img_1560569_3_99b6bc998b6dc74da6acbcfd9cc10915.jpg

Back
Top Bottom