Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I changed the water today I just couldn't help myself, I added another 10lbs of base rock and re arranged most of the corals. :-D I'm also debating on whether to move some coral frags from their plug and moving them to a flat plug rather than the ones with the the long piece on the bottom. Having a heck of a time finding spots for those guys, I'm actually running out of room in this tank now. LOL I'm sure I will tinker with this tank again soon, I'm still not 100% pleased with the look.

I am also thinking it's time to change the lighting. I'm thinking either a 4 bulb cheap T5 setup or a 250w odyssea metal halide fixture. Would 250w be too much for this tank?

Any input would be great guys, I'm kinda torn between which lighting to get. :-D

Pschmitt said:
From what I've been reading why an Odyssea? They all replace the bulbs, fan and ballast. Why not go for a good one to begin with and save yourself the hassle? Still using my Sunpod, but if I have to replace it, I'm thinking of this unit.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Medic_Metal_Halide_%2b_T5_Ocean_Light_Fixture_Metal_Halide_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ19711-FILTFIMHMT-vi.html

I've had my Oddysea Metal Hallide fixture for a bit over a year now. And I haven't replaced anything but the bulbs which I only did once and that only costed me 60 for 2 t5s and 2 250w 20000k bulbs. The fixture becomes warm but not really hot and I don't see which metal hallide fixtures don't. It seems as if they used to make bad models but the ones they have now are cheap and work efficiently keeping all the corals I used to have including SPS, LPS, Shrooms, clams, brains and more.

what are you lighting the tank with now ( sorry, i skipped a few hundred pages...lol)? i wouldn't go with a halide at this point. what's wrong with your LEDs?

I never got around to the Leds', running a single 150w metal halide fixture now, a clip on version. I'm just not feeling that this light is enough for the corals, while they aren't dying or fading I just think they can do better. I also had hopes of adding a clam at some point soon. And some other hard corals.

I was thinking the odyssea just as far as price point, I really can't afford the LED's I want and would like an upgrade. :-D I also would love to have blues in addition to the halide, I kinda miss having the blues and whites cycle. And I would really really love moonlights, Odyssea is one of the few halide fixtures that come with them.

Well, why not try them then? I'm just cautious because of the ridiculous low price. To me that just means low quality materials. JMO, considering I paid about $350 for my 150 watt 20" Sunpod (which still is kicking after many years). :)

she's got a 150. that's the reason she's unhappy..lol. a couple actinics aren't going to make the difference she's looking for.

mr_X said:
she's got a 150. that's the reason she's unhappy..lol. a couple actinics aren't going to make the difference she's looking for.
Oh lol. If I had the money I'd go with the SOL fixtures or just wait and use the metal hallide until I had enough.

The SOL's are supposed to be dropping in price aren't they since the new line is coming out soon? I read a press release not too long ago....

Also, since I haven't found anyone to buy my 20L FW setup I don't have any way to mount/hang the leds'... I'm still throwing ideas around in my head as far as making a mounting pole that attaches to the back of my stand BUT the stand I have now is from walmart and is completely open in the back so theres no where to attach it to...

Constant hurdles it seems with my builds LOL

The tank looks great carey! It looks full of life and colorful. I even spotted your little Yellow Clown Goby!

I took the photos right after feeding so everyone was out and about. the clown gobys are much more active and viewable since I added the other fish. :) The only real hider I have now is the two spot blenny. lol

I'll add some new photos of the added rock and the new coral arrangement later.

As a side question, I have a very tall toadstool leather int he tank, when i went to move it today I found it had attached its SIDE to the rock it was leaning against. I left it be because I wasnt sure if pulling it off would have been healthy for it...so I left it as is. But I see this as being a slight issue moving forward if i were to move the coral like I want to. Any thoughts?

Cool, can't wait ti see more photos! Glad everyone is doing well. Do you have any close ups of the fish?

I'll have to take a few, since they are all so small I have to really get up in their face lol.

:-D

Ok, I changed my mind again. i am getting these lights now

2Ft/4Bulbs fixture

They have gotten great reviews on this site and it has four bulbs. Not separate reflectors though, the one I linked right above for ebay has reflectors for each bulb. Should I spend the extra $50 for this feature? I intend to keep a clam in this tank so I need some guidance here. lol

As far as bulbs I wanted to keep the two blue actinics that come with it probably change out the 2 10k bulbs for something bluer. Maybe an ati aquablue special, i think it's at 12k spectrum.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions on these two units and/or anything as far as bulbs I would appreciate it.

that's pretty cheap, and looks nice. i also like the external ballasts. only a 4 lamp fixture though? i wonder if you'll be able to keep sps in this tank. you already know what bulbs i like.

aq 6 bulb unit is too wide to fit on the tank. I only have 12 inches from front to back. I have about 13 inches of water to penetrate so I was hoping i could get by with the 4 bulb.

Back
Top Bottom