Carpet anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys I have three carpet anemone and they have been in my tank for about 2 months now. They are doing good but just had a question on my mind.

When I brought these guys they were nice and spread out and the lil tentacles were also nice and visible. But after I started feeding them about once a week they have got smaller and the lil tentacles have got much smaller. Is this because they are less dependent on light to grow since they are getting food? And do carpet anemone need to be fed and do you think if I stop feeding they will go back to how they were when I got them?

Just don't want to stop feeding them and risk there well being.

Hi guys I have three carpet anemone and they have been in my tank for about 2 months now. They are doing good but just had a question on my mind.

When I brought these guys they were nice and spread out and the lil tentacles were also nice and visible. But after I started feeding them about once a week they have got smaller and the lil tentacles have got much smaller. Is this because they are less dependent on light to grow since they are getting food? And do carpet anemone need to be fed and do you think if I stop feeding they will go back to how they were when I got them?

Just don't want to stop feeding them and risk there well being.

are these max mini's?/ and they might just be annoyed at something or not right...give them a couple days and they might move and re open all the way etc....

Craigj247 said:
They are minis... Ayt cool will watch them and see how it goes...

It took mine over a week to acclimate to the lights and flow etc etc and me moving him like five times ....after three weeks and proper feeding he has opened and stayed open .....also they like it on sand bottom attached to Rock make a garden of them lol

Here's mine

image-1449563335.jpg

I guess better over reacting than not noticing somin till it is too late right... Thanks a bunch guys... Will keep the updates coming

Fed my anemones today and they all ate so they seem happy... Lots of people say that if they are unhappy or unhealthy they stop eating and roam the tank about too... My guys have been well rooted for the past couple of weeks. All seems ok for the moment...

Craigj247 said:
Fed my anemones today and they all ate so they seem happy... Lots of people say that if they are unhappy or unhealthy they stop eating and roam the tank about too... My guys have been well rooted for the past couple of weeks. All seems ok for the moment...

Yup it takes them time to adjust and find their sweet spot but most important thing is if they eat and that's always a good sign ....double check all your water parameters etc just to be safe I like to check my water once a week at least I'm a freak haha

I do the same actually. I do my water changes on Saturday so I check my water on Friday before the change and again on Sunday after the change to make sure that all is ok.

I do the same actually. I do my water changes on Saturday so I check my water on Friday before the change and again on Sunday after the change to make sure that all is ok.

excellent that you check before and after....many people don't and thats why they cannot figure out a problem if there is one....i bought the app for the iPhone aqua planner and it keeps me in check with everything

Yep, anemones can and will move around if there is something they are not happy about be it lighting or flow. How big are the food pieces you are feeding? You want tiny pea sized pieces, nothing at all big. they can actually be harmed by eating too big of a piece of food, they can't actually digest it and they end up pooping it back out almost whole.

Thats a pretty big nem by the way, I have read that they can get HUGE which is a reason why alot of people don't get them to begin with . lol

Your picture looks good though, he doesn;t look stressed or anything and he is staying put, another good sign. Just follow the advice above and keep up on your water and he should be fine. :)

Good luck!

Carey! Hey hey thanks for joining in :)

Nope very small pieces and I only feed once a week to 10 days... Yeah I know they grow quite big... But I love my nems specially the green one :).

Planning to move up to a 90 gal in a couple of months so I am sure they can get more comfy... Will keep you guys updated if things go south but I think I just over reacted a bit like a concerned mother :p

Thanks a bunch for the reassurance guys!

Hey ReefPete thanks a bunch for that info just bought "AquaPlanner Pro" that is one really useful app. I was using "marine aquarium fish" but the one you suggested has much better features. Thanks!

Hey ReefPete thanks a bunch for that info just bought "AquaPlanner Pro" that is one really useful app. I was using "marine aquarium fish" but the one you suggested has much better features. Thanks!

yeah totally man anytime .....that app is awesome and it lets you put in your stock ....so many features you'd think it should be more expensive lol...

anytime ill keep an eye out for your posts

What size is your nano tank? I'm thinking of getting a carpet anenome in my tank once it is well established.

Back
Top Bottom