carpet plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarky2202

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.
Im currently trying to achieve a good carpet with lilaeopsis brasiliensis but im struggling to get dense growth. My other plants are thriving but im struggling with the carpet.

Im running 1 x power glo 30w t8
1 x aqua glo 30w t8
Running them for 8.5 hours per day on a timer.
Im adding pro fito once per week and easy carbo once per day.
Im getting good flow around the tank from the spray bar.
Any suggestions on whats going wrong or what else to do?

Many thanks
Tom

What's the problem exactly? That the plants aren't growing, or are growing too thinly or too tall?

I know L. brasiliensis is a slow grower.

They arent growing very well at all. All the others are doing really well. Could it be because they are in gravel substrate?

They arent growing very well at all. All the others are doing really well. Could it be because they are in gravel substrate?

IMO people expect carpeting in low tech systems to much. It just doesnt work as well. Dont get me wrong it CAN be done but its hard.

1.) Gravel is a poor choice for substrate in a planted tank.
2.) T8 Lights probably arnt enough light
3.) you should have co2 if you want plants to carpet well

IMO people expect carpeting in low tech systems to much. It just doesnt work as well. Dont get me wrong it CAN be done but its hard.

1.) Gravel is a poor choice for substrate in a planted tank.
2.) T8 Lights probably arnt enough light
3.) you should have co2 if you want plants to carpet well

A bit blunt but I agree.

If you really want to see a carpet you need medium/high lighting to see substantial growth

Caleb

I think co2 is more important for carpeting, but medium light would not go amiss.

Also, gravel isn't the best, but if you have good root tabs (osmocote tabs are used often) then I don't think it's too much of a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit blunt but I agree.

If you really want to see a carpet you need medium/high lighting to see substantial growth

Caleb

oh my bad I honestly didnt mean to be blunt. I just mean that lots of people expect plants to carpet and getting this to happen actually takes a lot more then some decent light and ferts. I think its hard as a new person to this part of the hobby because you can easily find these amazing planted tanks online that people have created and people tend to think this was easily done it just takes the right plants and enough light but its so much more then this. Dont get me wrong im not suggesting the OP is at fault of this its just something I see often.

oh my bad I honestly didnt mean to be blunt. I just mean that lots of people expect plants to carpet and getting this to happen actually takes a lot more then some decent light and ferts. I think its hard as a new person to this part of the hobby because you can easily find these amazing planted tanks online that people have created and people tend to think this was easily done it just takes the right plants and enough light but its so much more then this. Dont get me wrong im not suggesting the OP is at fault of this its just something I see often.

Oh I completely agree man I just thought it was a little Blunt lol but you are right.

I'm an active member of social media and kids think their little LED that barely lights the tank is going to make a carpet.

Planted tanks take dedication and to achieve a nice carpet takes even more effort.

Caleb

Oh I completely agree man I just thought it was a little Blunt lol but you are right.

I'm an active member of social media and kids think their little LED that barely lights the tank is going to make a carpet.

Planted tanks take dedication and to achieve a nice carpet takes even more effort.

Caleb

100% agreed. Im glad you said i was blunt however I will be aware of that when posting things like that in the future. No good learning happens if people feel like the person giving the advice is a jerk.

to the OP - with light and ferts I think you could achive a decent carpet however im not sure you could with those plants. I was able to make it happen in a tank I had before adding Co2. It wasnt a super dense carpet but it was a carpet. I would say a good plant to look at is dwarf hairgrass. The plant spreads well and it will give you a "Carpet" (thin carpet) in good time but after that it will just keep getting thicker and thicker.

You may know this but heres what causes plants IME to carpet well. High light so that the plant stays low and wants to keep spreading. If the light isnt enough it will grow as tall as it can in order to reach more light. Ferts to encurage fast growing and will cause the plant to spread because it has good energy to spread. If a plant isnt getting enough nurtients it will just focus energy on staying alive. Good nutrients along with good light will allow it to focus less on growing up and surviving and focus on spreading and thriving. Would you have the ability to change the light out? 100$ on a decent light could make a HUGE difference in your planted tank.

What size tank is this? 30w t8 is a 36" bulb I think so I am assuming this is possibly a 40g?

Dropping $100 on a nice light is great and all, but if you don't have co2 you'll just get algae and no carpet.

Instead, light your tank with CFL lighting which you can do for under $30, and spend extra money on a DIY co2 system or even a pressurized system.

Or, you can stick to low tech and avoid the hassle, but settle for a less pleasing tank.

If the tank is large enough you can dry saggitaria subulata or helianthum tenellum as a carpet, but I hear they can get to 4" tall and won't work on small tanks.

100% agreed. Im glad you said i was blunt however I will be aware of that when posting things like that in the future. No good learning happens if people feel like the person giving the advice is a jerk.

to the OP - with light and ferts I think you could achive a decent carpet however im not sure you could with those plants. I was able to make it happen in a tank I had before adding Co2. It wasnt a super dense carpet but it was a carpet. I would say a good plant to look at is dwarf hairgrass. The plant spreads well and it will give you a "Carpet" (thin carpet) in good time but after that it will just keep getting thicker and thicker.

You may know this but heres what causes plants IME to carpet well. High light so that the plant stays low and wants to keep spreading. If the light isnt enough it will grow as tall as it can in order to reach more light. Ferts to encurage fast growing and will cause the plant to spread because it has good energy to spread. If a plant isnt getting enough nurtients it will just focus energy on staying alive. Good nutrients along with good light will allow it to focus less on growing up and surviving and focus on spreading and thriving. Would you have the ability to change the light out? 100$ on a decent light could make a HUGE difference in your planted tank.

What size tank is this? 30w t8 is a 36" bulb I think so I am assuming this is possibly a 40g?

Co2 is a must for carpeting DHG. Light too but this stuff really likes its co2, my understanding is even dosing glut isn't nearly as effective.

Thanks for the advice all.
This is all reasonably new to me and i will freely admit ive probably been a bit naive with it all.
I dont mind spending some money on new lighting. What would you recommend? Also how long would you have them on for?
And you are right it is a 200 litre tank.

Constructive critisism isthe key to success!

Again i dont mindbuying a c02 system but ive heard its hard to get the correct amount of dosage with them. Is this true or are they more user friendly than ive been told?

Again i dont mindbuying a c02 system but ive heard its hard to get the correct amount of dosage with them. Is this true or are they more user friendly than ive been told?

no co2 can be easy to use. All you need is a Drop checker in your tank and it will tell you when theres to much co2. Co2 is user friendly imo. I mean there is a little more to it then that but nothing you cant learn in an hour of reading at most

Thanks for the advice all.

This is all reasonably new to me and i will freely admit ive probably been a bit naive with it all.

I dont mind spending some money on new lighting. What would you recommend? Also how long would you have them on for?

And you are right it is a 200 litre tank.

Constructive critisism isthe key to success!

How tall (inch or cm) is the tank?
I would suggest one of the Finnex LED fixtures, however, outside of the U.S. you may have to explore alternatives. On another forum the Aquaray Grobeam was recommended. I don't know about the specs for that fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Co2 can be easy but it wasn't for me. I had an Aquatek regulator that was touchy and the bubble count would drop considerably over the course of a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom