Carpet plants for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandSomeDevil13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are there any carpeting plants that will do ok in a low tech tank with liquid ferts, root tabs, no c02 and decent lighting?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe Staurogynes repens. Not really a carpet plant but more of a low growing stem plant. I say maybe because I'm not sure how it will do without CO2 under decent lighting.

Is gloso a fast growing plant? I have a 15 watt led in the 5.5 gallon tank.

Is gloso a fast growing plant? I have a 15 watt led in the 5.5 gallon tank.

Under the right conditions, yes. This tank has high light, dry ferts, and CO2 (Finnex FugeRay and Planted+ over a 20g long). Glosso starts out in the front right corner and spreads from right to left.
1/26/2016:
eOMiCNih.jpg
2/10/2016:
2IB7ummh.jpg
3/21/2016:
GDSRzn0h.jpg

That glosso carpet looks amazing. Are there any dry ferts you would recommend? So far I'm using seachem root tabs and seachem flourish

That glosso carpet looks amazing. Are there any dry ferts you would recommend? So far I'm using seachem root tabs and seachem flourish

Thanks! Before I used dry ferts I used a combo of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (or simply Flourish) and API Leaf Zone. I did not use the Sechem root tabs (too expensive). I use regular and phosphate root pellets by Aqua Fertz. Available through AquariumPlants dot com.
For dry ferts I use the GLA's PPS-Pro Kit. It was $15-30 and two years later I have plenty left still.

Would you say the dry ferts are helping the plants more than the liquid ferts?

Have you had any luck with Monte Carlo? What kind of substrate are you using?

Would you say the dry ferts are helping the plants more than the liquid ferts?

Have you had any luck with Monte Carlo? What kind of substrate are you using?

Yes. Especially since I am using more light.The ability to customize the amount of each nutrient is a big plus. But if I were doing low light the I would probably stick with liquid ferts.
I've never tried Monte Carlo. Add it to the bucket list.
EcoComplete, black, regular grain.

DBT is not the easiest plant. After week 3-4 it started to spread with runners close to the substrate but growth was VERY slow. I had a lot of difficulty keeping it down despite stainless steel mesh and super glue. It was pointless since the Glosso grew over it and spread like kudzu.
To be honest, the DBT is growing better in my terrarium.

I think I'm going to try Monte Carlo for my low tech tank. I'm hoping that my led and ferts will get the job done. Eventually I might look into a diy co2 system but for now I'll try my luck without it.

I think I'm going to try Monte Carlo for my low tech tank. I'm hoping that my led and ferts will get the job done. Eventually I might look into a diy co2 system but for now I'll try my luck without it.

Good luck man, let me know how it goes. We're in the same boat I guess.

Dwarf Hairgrass can be grown in low light. I grow mine with pressurized CO2, but I'm sure it can be grown with Excel or another carbon alternative.

You could even try dwarf sag or crypt Parva

In low light both will grow slowly. The latter might not grow at all (I've kept it in both low and medium high lighting). As for crypts go, C parva is quite demanding. It sent a few runners out over a span of 2-3 months but that was under decent lighting and heavy CO2.
You might consider Staurogyne repens or DHG mentioned above. Star repens won't send out runners; you need to snip and replant these yourself.

Back
Top Bottom