Cat in the tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CDGQY

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. A neighborhood cat has recently discovered my outdoor goldfish tank. It’s an open hundred gallon galvanized trough filled with flat stones stacked upon stones and stones upon milk crates. The fish have hiding spaces though a patient cat could catch them unaware. After seeing the cat lurking about, I covered the tank with some large weave mesh I had, cinched it down with a draw cord, and further secured the net by adding clips around the perimeter of the tank. It must be quite secure because the cat sits on top of it, apparently not minding his wet bum. I’m afraid he’ll topple the stones and injure the fish, snag or scratch one if he gets his paw through the weave, or just generally terrorize them. I don’t want any harm to come to the cat, either. My automatic sensor light doesn’t faze him, and my small dogs bounding into the backyard chases him away only briefly. I will add that if the cat were to be startled, he is two fences and a considerable distance away from a quiet dead end street (i.e. he won’t run into traffic). Do I seem unnecessarily concerned for the fish? If not, does anyone have any idea of how I can keep the cat away or at least off of the tank? Perhaps I could add a fountain type water feature? PS I don’t think he’s seeking drinking water because he’d likely visit the nearby pool like the other neighborhood cats often do. Thanks!

I always thought cats didn't like water maybe you'll get lucky let him fall in next time he'll be a washed up cat . cats learn from there own stupidity

Thanks. The cat doesn’t seem to mind sitting on a flat rock in a couple inches of water. I think you’re suggesting that I remove the netting and all the rocks from the tank so he gets a full dunking. Hmmmm. I think you’re on to something that could very likely work.

Some cats like water mine used to lay on top of our oscar tank with her tail fully submerged swishing it around. lol

Back
Top Bottom