Catch your own fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I am thinking about doing two things. One is adding some live rock. Do you think it would add some look or not. And two upgrade my lights to 4 t5s 2 day 2 night and set up a timer.

Well see the process I use to catch these fish has a 50/50 change of causing internal injury. Plus the first one I never found might have been eaten. All but my coral banded have been eaten. And yes my nitrates are 10 and won't go down. But other than that their good.

By all but my coral banded shrimp have been eaten I Medan all my shrimp have been eaten

There has been much talk about the fish in your area and what you are doing. It sounds like you're enjoying the process, which is great. But, and please don't take offence, your tank does not appear to be suitable for a marine set-up at all. That looks like a very small freshwater filter your are running, designed for a much smaller tank (a whisper 10 perhaps) and is likely the reason you have high nitrates. And if your talking about upgrading your lights, what are you running right now? Finally, that spiny lobster has probably eaten all your other invertabrates, and the CBS will be next on the menu once spiny gets big enough.
In order to overcome your filtration issues, more frequent water changes will help, or even cure that problem. But I wouldn't take water from the canal, even if the salinity is right. Surface run off can lead to contaminates and high phosphates. Off shore water is the best if you decide to go the "free" route. You can store it in a bucket or cooler and changes 1-2 gals daily.
Give us info on the filtration and lighting you currently have. Not sure what you meant by "4 t5s 2 day 2 night", but if you get a 4 bulb T5HO light, the simplest set-up is 2 actinic and 2 white. But they all come on during the day, actinic is NOT for night.

My spiny lobster will soon be released and upgrading the filtration was going to be upgraded with the lights in not sure of the size filte until I get home from school so I will tell u then.

Wow this thread is amazing! Just thought I'd add in that the live rock will add a much better look. Right now there's nothing towards the top of the tank other than fish, so it makes the tank look incomplete. You could get large pieces and fill up the center all the way to the top, make a large arch, and much more! There's so many things you can do for the marine aquascape. And as said before, you definitely need a better filter. And for the corals to have improved health I would also get a powerhead. But I think everything is so cool! I live in New Hampshire, and there's nothing like that here. I'm also 13, and have dreams of a career in the field of marine biology or as a marine veterinarian. But all that can keep me knowledgeable is my reef tank. You have a whole reef! Lucky you! One day I want to live near Cairns, Australia. It's one of the most populated areas of the Great Barrier Reef. But that day is in the distance right now. You have a future like that in the present!

Yeah I am going vacation Friday till Monday and when I get back I'm getting another ricordia and live rock

I am having 4 algae outbreaks. One is diatoms I believe but I need help on the rest.

Here r the pics

Attachments

• image-691810555.jpg
    image-691810555.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image-4110713739.jpg
    image-4110713739.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2312136720.jpg
    image-2312136720.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 91
Unfortunately it really could be anything, your catching fish from the wild and not using a quarantine system or anything to help keep and parasites or unwanted in your tank. The brown is def diatoms, maybe a bit of cyno as well.

I don't think it came from the fish because the corals I got their plug have the exact same color.

Yeah it would spread across the tank in whole, not pick and choose a frag or two. I'm just saying your gonna be opening up a new can of worms as far as parasites and other things in your tank you are not going to know anything about. The algae issue will most likely be taken care of by siphoning it out and maintaining water changes. You have a high bioload for your tank so the more frequent the water changes the better off you will be.

Back
Top Bottom