Catfish Identify?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malfist

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I've had this catfish for eons, his (her?) name is Zane. Can anyone tell me what type of catfish he/she is? Zane has been with my since my first tank about 4 or 5 years ago.

Attaching both video and photo. He's a bit too active to be photographed so the video is probably best.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0606.jpg
    IMG_0606.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 91
The video is the best bet, Zane moves far to much to get a good photo.

I've uploaded the video to youtube it appears AquariumAdvice's video stuff isn't fully functional. Link:

I know exactly what zane is but it completely slipped my mind. I'm gonna look around and see if I can remember

If it helps any, Zane came from either PetSmart or Meijer.

Arius seemani is listed as "Difficulty: Challenging", Zane has lived through at least 7 fights with ick, 3 dead heaters, moves from two apartments and then to a house. Was originally housed in a 10 gallon. He was more hardy than my black moor that finally kicked the bucket with the last dead heater issue.

Their size is also listed as 12-15 inches, and I don't think Zane has grown any in the last year or so. It's also never ever been aggressive.

That's an iridescent shark or pangasius catfish. It appears to be severely stunted and suffering from cloudy eye. They're monster fish reaching over 3 feet.

That's my best bet based on that picture set and without digging out the books, I have no idea of the past life of the fish, so sorry about that!

I would think its a close relative if you are not convinced. Definitely within the family group ariidae. Arius species defined by three pairs of barbels and adipose fin shape, these things seem apparent in your pictures.

(I was told clown loach were difficult, I've had mine for nearly the whole time I've been keeping fish, some are 8 years old to me and much older realistically)

In addition to that, some places would list a difficult fish as one that requires specific water parameters, brackish for example or high than normal flow or even changing conditions as in the case of some brachygobius species.

It's the iridescent shark or pangasius catfish (sorry if I totally bombed the name I'm in a rush). They get massive and can't go in most aquariums. They're huge fish that are on my list of fish that shouldn't be sold in the aquarium world. I seriously can't emphasize massive enough! Unless you have over a 1,000 gallon tank I suggest removing him immediately

Comparing those two pictures, yours and wiki, they look like completely different animals.

Considering they are endangered maybe a zoo might take it if it's condition is ok? Would be better than being responsible in part for terminating a species of life.

Given age and size, forgive me for suggesting something more like;

Arius berneyi • Ariidae • Cat-eLog

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom