Catfish that can go with Aggressive Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tikitikin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I decided to go with a Salvini and Jack Dempsey setup in my 55 gal. I was wondering if there was any catfish out there that can put up with these aggressive fish that can clean the food and algae that is left over (I do plan to feed the catfish a regular diet too). I know this isn't really a cichlid based question but i figured that people who have cichlid would better understand where I'm coming from.:thanks:

not sure if your tank has the room,but if anything will last,its a raphael. they get big and spiky and hide out during the day. but they wont eat algae

Hi! I keep Syndontis with my Mixed Africans, they put up with they're harassment quite well.

Attachments

• image-3601838585.jpg
    image-3601838585.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,929
I heard about Raphael Catfish and someone mention to me before about Pleco but I don't know of any that can live in a 55 gal with aggressive cichlid.

I keep 2 pictus in my mbuna tank and they do very well. If you want algae maybe a bristlenose pleco. They do a good job and don't get larger than appx 5".

Salvini males can get just as large as any Jack, and females a solid 6"+. I wouldn't add a JD to the tank with a pair. It will almost guarantee a death sentence. Not to mention the bioload. 3 larger cichlids + a catfish you will be doing WC's bi-daily just to keep the water from becoming toxic.

Good luck with the tank though.

Um who said anything about a pair... 1 Sal, 1 JD, and 1 Cat or Pleco. I think you read wrong.

Well I decided to go with a Salvini and Jack Dempsey setup in my 55 gal

In my opinion a jack and salvini is going to be a problem between aggression and water quality. I'd rethink that stock list personally, if your going to try two cichlids then I would look towards something in the Archocentrus, Amatitlania, or Cryptoheros.

Last edited:
I will have a drip system setup running from my well it does not have toxic chemicals or cost money and it will overflow to my sump which overflows to a drain so water changes are not and issue

Ryan aka fish guy said:
Um who said anything about a pair... 1 Sal, 1 JD, and 1 Cat or Pleco. I think you read wrong.

Um, pair or not. You still talking about 2 larger aggressive fish in a small tank. Once they hit sexual maturity there aggression will increase even more. Adding a plec/catfish just takes more space from the tank. Making both fish even more territorial in turn again increased aggression. Not to mention bio load. Even with a sump, water changes will help with stress not just the water quality.

Look i'm not here to argue these fish have been together for a 3 years now and are together like a breeding pair of convicts. There was a common pleco with them but I didn't want him cause he was 14'' plus they were free from a friend how had them in a 36 or 37 gal so don't jump my case cause they will fight when they haven't after 3 years. I'm just looking for someone who can pick up leftovers and is a good tank mate.

Shovelnose cat would probably do well. Issue is they get huge and from my experiance they can be hard to feed mine only ate live feeders

Ryan aka fish guy said:
Well I decided to go with a Salvini and Jack Dempsey setup in my 55 gal.

well after 3 years it's a good thing you finally decided to go with a match up of fish that you have been advised wont work. Just because you don't get the answers you want, is no reason to get defensive. At the end of the day all we can do is give advise on what info has been given. I honstly don't care what you do with your tank. It's not my place to tell you anything. Just giving my advice and opinion. Don't take it so personally, it's a advice forum. We are just trying to help you succeed with your tank/fish.

I have a cichlid tank, 75litres an 12 cichlids, I brought, what I know them as... Cookie catfish.
They are really beautiful bottom feeding fish, they have kept my tank clean of uneaten food and waste since putting them in there 3 weeks ago! I got them from a local shop x3 for £25.00 at 2.5inches in size

Beefsteaks said:
I have a cichlid tank, 75litres an 12 cichlids, I brought, what I know them as... Cookie catfish.
They are really beautiful bottom feeding fish, they have kept my tank clean of uneaten food and waste since putting them in there 3 weeks ago! I got them from a local shop x3 for £25.00 at 2.5inches in size

Cookie? Got any pics? I have a Cuckoo Cat, a Syndontis multipunctatus :)

Yes mate, if you look on my profile you Will see a couple pics of them on there

I have an wclipse catfish and synodontis petricolas with my mbuna and they are fine. The eclipse is 8" and bullies the cichlids at times.

Back
Top Bottom