Catfish with potbelly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockradio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I hope someone can help me cuz I'm really an amateur. I have a 5" red tail catfish in a 55 gallon tank and I noticed today that he seems to have a "potbelly". It's really noticeable. Otherwise he seems fine. I don't know if to worry or not. All the other fish are fine. I have 3 koi 2 angels a snail and a loach (they are all still small). If someone knows something that can help it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to AA for starters. First let me ask if you have a test kit? If so what are your water parameters? If not I'd recommend you get a liquid test kit. I use AP
master kit and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. How long has your tank been set up? The koi are a coldwater fish and really shouldn't be housed with the tropicals, but that will have no effect on your catfish. On his pot belly are any of the scales raised and sticking out at all? Is he swimming fine, any black patches on his body? Swimming at the surface, rapid breathing? If you are able to post a pic that would be helpful. If not the answers to these questions will help alot with offering you advice.

well no I dont have a test kit but I'll get one.
on the cat, I dont see any scales raised and no odd behavior. still swims near the bottom, no noticeable spots. the tank has been set up for about 2 months.

but maybe this is the culprit, I was out of town and didnt get back 'till last night. well I had a friend of mine feed the fish in the morning and he said he fed him about 4 times as much. would this do it? it seems to have gotten smaller today. all the others still swimming 'round. thanks for all your help. 0X <-- i just like the way that looks

That could do it for sure, but I would still get a test kit and monitor your water conditions, especially with the over feeding. A pwc wouldn't hurt either.

Definitely getting a tester. It really might be a good idea to do a pwc after I get the tester. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom