Catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jblkfishfantasy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought these two yesterday and don't know much about them just that they are very cute...! Would someone please give me some information? Also they are very very active! The don't stop going up and down glass and everywhere! Is this normal?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416243757.577753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure what type of catfish those are. But I've had a Pictus catfish for over three years. He used to go up and down the glass too. He did it for a long time but eventually he stopped doing that.

It's a type of Cory catfish, not sure what type exactly. They are best kept in groups of 5 or more. The can break air from the surface and it's normal for them to occasionally dart up for a gulp of air, but if they do it a lot it could mean poor water quality

I have 2 catfish aswell and for the first month I had them all they did was go up n down the glass,then they stoped,maybe cuz of stress ?

Those are sterbai corydoras. They're pretty hardy and like to be in groups of 5 or more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone. They don't go right to the top for air they just skim around the glass all the time. I've tested the water so it can't be that. I guess it's just settling in. I'm thinking of changing from gravel to sand for them... Any suggestions?

They'll like the sand a lot more than the gravel.

Corys go to the top for air only very occasionally. There's a good chance you won't see it.

Welcome to cory keeping! They tend to be quite active in a new tank and then settle down a bit. You'll most often see these flurries of activity during certain time of the day (usually evening) and water changes.
Sand is a better choice in my opinion, less chance of them injuring barbels and being exposed to unvacuumed nasties at the bottom of the tank, which is where they normally dwell.
They do best in larger groups (also depends on your tank size and other fish how many you should get)
They are absolutely great personalities and great community fish.
Good luck!

One more thing...
Make sure you have sinking foods (shrimp pellets, etc)

Back
Top Bottom