cause of death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just took 2 dead rummynose tetras out of my tank and I think I know why but Im not 100% sure.

When doing a PWC, if you forget to put in tap water conditioner before adding more water, can that hurt the fish severely??? :( so sad

It could but I mean instantly I'm unsure I usually do a full tank dose even if I only do 25-30% water change.

Chronos313 said:
It could but I mean instantly I'm unsure I usually do a full tank dose even if I only do 25-30% water change.

Yeah I always do too but I got sidetracked and forgot to put conditioner in the tank until a few hours later :/ guess I'll wait n see how they r tomorrow

Something may have been introduced to the tank while doing the water change. I have never had luck with rummy nose tetras they are kind of hit and miss some are really finicky and some are really hardy. How did you do the water change, do you have a python?

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Something may have been introduced to the tank while doing the water change. I have never had luck with rummy nose tetras they are kind of hit and miss some are really finicky and some are really hardy. How did you do the water change, do you have a python?

I have the aqueon version, and its not my first water change on this tank by far. Temp was fine all day.

Just kind of odd that they were all fine for weeks and now all of a sudden 3 fish die :/ no movement in water parameters whatsoever

I have had this problem with rummy nose before and never did figure out cause of death. Maybe it was just their time.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I have had this problem with rummy nose before and never did figure out cause of death. Maybe it was just their time.

:( that's ashame, guess the same for my clown loach? Its weird bc they all seemed fine, but now my rummynose aren't even schooling anymore, at least they weren't last night.

May be a stupid question but does trimming plants release anything harmful into the water?

Ohh I'm an idiot, I think I know what killed them :( I trimmed plants yesterday with a pair of scissors that were washed before! If there was soap residue on there that could be it :( idiot idiot idiot

It very well could be I try to keep carbon in my filters to pull out impurities but it doesn't catch everything I would just keep a pair of scissors for aquarium use only and just rinse them after if they are stainless steel you won't have a problem with rust or anything

I recently lost 5 ghost shrimp an oto and a skunk botia to something unknown they were all healthy one day then dead the next. It's no fun when this happens but it opens up opportunities for new fish.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
It very well could be I try to keep carbon in my filters to pull out impurities but it doesn't catch everything I would just keep a pair of scissors for aquarium use only and just rinse them after if they are stainless steel you won't have a problem with rust or anything

Yeah I'm going out n getting carbon after work today, I hope no one else dies :(

I'm just lucky my discus weren't in there yet, I have 4 of em in a QT right next to the tank!

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I recently lost 5 ghost shrimp an oto and a skunk botia to something unknown they were all healthy one day then dead the next. It's no fun when this happens but it opens up opportunities for new fish.

Well I have 13 other rummynose in the tank and 1 other clown loach lol so no NEW fish, just gotta bump up the schools again

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Either way it's always fun buying fish even if your just bumping up the schools

Yeah that's true, I'm gonna buy some carbon first, let it cycle for a few days to make sure everything's okay then go get more fish :)

Bought 2 more clown loaches and now all 3 of them are swimming around together :) couldn't be happier!

Back
Top Bottom